Hello lovely Friends! It’s a fresh new year and I am excited to kick it off with one of my favorite things in the whole world…a thrifty makeover! This one is a real trash-to-treasure project.
I really worked hard last year to whittle down my to-do project pyramid that has consumed my garage, so I have enjoyed thrifting again guilt-free lately. (I may or may not be meeting my maximum capacity in the garage again. #oopsie)
A couple of weeks before Christmas I picked up this drum table for $20:
This thing was is really sad shape! It had definitely seen better days. It looked like it had been left outside in the elements for quite a while, and I wasn’t sure how it would clean up, plus the drawer would not close.
I’m so glad I took a chance on it because it turned out to be a beauty!
Luckily the drawer was an easy fix.
The top was so dried out that I could scratch the finish right off with my fingernail. You could clearly see how much it had faded as compared to the inside of the drawer in the before photo.
I’ve included affiliate links so you can find the products I like to use.
I applied it with a clean soft cloth. This allows the wood to absorb the stain more evenly. Then I applied two coats of Minwax stain in Dark Walnut. After that was dry, I sealed it with two coats of Minwax Wipe-On Poly…
I used a clean soft cloth to apply each of those as well. (Wear gloves and apply in a well-ventilated area!)
The top up close after sealing:
I was thrilled to see that beautiful rich wood come back to life.
The base is painted in Fluff from Dixie Belle Paint. The pink and white striped dresser I shared a couple of weeks ago was done with their paint as well. They sent me several samples to try it out and I really love it. ( I am under no obligation to share my thoughts on it, btw.) What I love about it besides the no-prep factor, is I only had to paint two coats for perfect coverage. I usually need three when painting something white.
Another thing I love is this color. I usually use a pure white, but this is just a tad softer and I really love it.
I used 220 grit sandpaper to shabby the edges of the base just a bit. Then I sealed it with clear wax.
The metal feet doo-dads are missing, but I think they look fine without them.
I just dropped this off at my booth on Saturday. I’m kinda wishing I would have kept it after seeing the photos!
One thrifty makeover down, many more to follow in the year ahead!
If you liked this makeover, you’ll enjoy this one too:
I’ll be back with my Get Your DIY On girls on Thursday sharing our favorite DIY projects…maybe some you haven’t seen before!
UPDATE: Check out our own favorite projects from our Get Your DIY On series as we bid it a find farewell HERE.
Don’t Miss a Thing!
If you like what you see, there are several ways to follow along!