Beautiful friends, welcome to Trash to Treasure Tuesday!! I share thrifty makeovers all the time, but today I am being joined by some of my favorite treasure-maker friends! Be on the lookout for links to their posts at the bottom! I brought out the big guns last month with this antique dresser makeover.
This month, I have something a bit smaller to share…this ugly duckling basket I picked up on clearance at the thrift store for $2.98:
I purchased this a while ago and it has just been sitting in my storage room ever since. I finally decided to add it to my latest thrift store haul so I would finally do something with it! I’ve included a few affiliate links so you can find the products I love.
I started this one with Rustoleum Spray Primer:
That’s my smallest spray shelter, perfect for smaller projects.
I gave it two coats for solid coverage.
Then I went back and filled in some of the weave with Dixie Belle paint and a small brush:
I applied two coats and then sanded all over with 220 grit sandpaper wrapped around an old sanding sponge.
I chose not to seal with anything. I did add a couple of things to add a little personality though:
Those numbers came from the old number sign for our house that I replaced last year:
You can see what I replaced them with HERE!
I painted them with two coats of Cotton and sanded them to shabby them up. They are attached with fine wire.
I also added this fun key:
I found it on the clearance after last Halloween at Michaels. It came from a ring of keys that were green and were supposed to be spooky. I cut the ring and saved them for future projects like this one. This was also painted in Cotton and sanded.
For the inside, I decided to add a liner with this pretty fabric I actually found on a small bolt at HomeGoods:
I was just going to link to another post I wrote on how I line baskets, but it wasn’t until I was writing this that I realized I did it completely different this time lol. I did happen to take a couple of photos though!
For this one, I cut a piece of fabric that was just about a bit bigger than the bottom and hot glued it in place along the inside edges:
Then I measured the height of the sides and cut a strip about an inch bigger that was long enough to wrap around the entire inside perimeter. One of the edges was a finished edge and I ironed the opposite edge to get a nice neat edge and then glued it in place also all the way around:
I did the same for the top, but if I had to do it over, the top was so shallow that I would have just sprayed that also.
I decided to just use the primer because it covered great, and I figured there was no need to follow it up with paint. It takes a bit more effort to shabby it up than chalk paint, but it can still be done.
The spray is very flat compared to the texture you get with chalk paint, but it worked out just fine for this basket.
And that is the third of my trio of baskets in this haul complete!
Not bad for $3!
Don’t go anywhere just yet. My friends have some trashy makeovers to share today as well!
Ahh…it’s always so nice to cross another project off the list, especially one that’s been hanging around awhile like this one!
You can visit the first two baskets I made over as well as all the other pieces from this haul that I’ve already made over at the links below!
There are three small items left to check off. I’ll be back with all three and another piece or two for another round of smalls on Thursday:
UPDATE: See how this dated crew turned out HERE now!
Don’t Miss a Thing!
If you like what you see, there are several ways to follow along!