Hi Friends! Welcome to day #8 of my 31 Days of Thrifty Makeovers Series! Today is extra special because it’s also Trash to Treasure Tuesday (my favorite!), so my creative thrifty friends will be sharing a makeover of their own as well. 🙂
Let’s get to it! Today I am sharing the makeover of a dresser that cost me all of $5 dollars at a yard sale last Summer:
Yup. Five whole dollars. That was the price marked on the bottom drawer there. I think this was one of those purchases where you buy it because it’s so dang cheap rather than because you think you can really do something with it.
I didn’t have a clue for this dirty thang.
Then inspiration struck…in the form of a crab!
The top drawer was not functioning properly and rather than try to fix it, I decided to take the top two out completely.
I built in a frame to support the new sides, bottom, and bead board back.
It was a lot of work actually and if I had to do it over again, I would have fixed that stubborn drawer!
I do love how it turned out though.
This would be so cute in a child’s room. I imagine the top filled with books. My boys love their books, well my 13 year old not so much these days, but my youngest still loves them!
This is Pete the Cat. If you have littles, his book series is a fun one.
The bottom of the storage area is covered in reclaimed fencing that I whitewashed. (See how I did that HERE.)
I painted the dresser in Sparrow by Behr, made into DIY chalk paint. I already had this on hand. Then sanded so the white beneath would shine through. I did sand and prime it in some areas first because it was in really bad shape:
Now you know why it was only five bucks. I sealed the whole piece with Annie Sloan’s Clear wax. See my Chalk Paint Tutorial HERE.
For the crab I found the silhouette of one that I liked online ( I just googled “crab silhouette”), then saved it and uploaded it to blockposters.com…
Then I traced around it while the dresser was on its back.
And painted it in with acrylic craft paint.
Kinda cute, huh?
I sanded with 220 grit sandpaper to knock down any rough areas from the paint.
I kept the same hardware that was on it originally since it was perfect…
The paint job on this was a hot mess, including the drawers. I usually don’t paint the insides of the drawers, but these needed fixin in a bad way. Spray paint was perfect for the job. I did that before I painted the drawer fronts.
Not too bad for $5, huh?
Don’t go anywhere! My fabulous thrifty makeover friends are sharing trash to treasure transformations of their own!
Check out what they did with these finds at the links below!
If you missed any of the thrifty makeovers in my fun March Madness Series so far, you can catch up here:
I’ll be back tomorrow sharing how I gave this old TJ Maxx piece new life:
UPDATE: You’re in luck! You can see it HERE now! 🙂
Don’t Miss a Thing!
If you like what you see, there are several ways to follow along!
I love to share at these great parties:
The Happy Housie Design Dining and Diapers Liz Marie Blog Funky Junk Interiors Savvy Southern Style Tatertots and Jello DIY Show Off Between Naps on the Porch Just a Girl and Her Blog Sand and Sisal Interior Frugalista