Welcome back, amazing friends! I am so thrilled that you are here! Today, I’m sharing a simple way to update a thrift store shelf. It’s another piece from my new haul!
Today’s project piece is this dated shelf that I picked up for $5 at the thrift store:
I thought the wavy piece across the bottom is what made it a bit dated, but I knew I could remove that. Otherwise, it was well made and solid and…I thought I could make it cute!
Shelves sell well since they are so versatile and can be used in just about any room of the house!
Since I knew right away that I wanted to remove the wavy piece, I started there:
The next step was a good cleaning, which I did with the help of White Lightning. I just added a TBSP to a tub filled with a half gallon of warm water and gave this shelf a good wipe down. Look at those orangey tannins I was getting on my applicator pad from this shelf:
I knew I would need to BOSS this piece or that would bleed through every paint layer. It seems whoever stained this shelf never sealed it.
I gave it a good coat of BOSS in white to seal in those pesky tannins:
I let that sit overnight to be sure it was good and dry. Proper dry time is key with BOSS!
Before painting, I needed to cut my new backing for the shelf, which I did out of bead board…
Then everything got two coats of Cotton. Cotton normally takes three coats, but the white BOSS took the place of one coat.
Adding a mini Transfer
I decided that the bead board I planned to use as my new backing could use a little embellishment, so I reached for my set of mini transfers, the Classic Vintage Labels transfer set:
This set has 27 mini transfers in all, so just over a dollar per mini transfer, and you can update 27 smalls!
This transfer is available HERE!
I dry fit everything together once the paint was dry to determine placement for the mini transfer I chose. Then I started burnishing in the crack of the bead board first (that did not sound right lol), then I kept moving, making sure the transfer made it into the crevices. (Did that sound better?)
I sanded everything with 220 grit sandpaper once the paint was dry to smooth it out and distress a bit here and there. I did not sand across the transfer, but you could if you wanted it distressed a bit also.
I cut the top of the sponge straight across, which helps to get right into those corners.
Finally, I assembled everything, using my nail gun to reattach the wavy piece I had removed. I attached the bead board backing with small finishing nails.
Here is how this once dated shelf looks now!
As you can see, I decided to reuse the piece I had originally whacked off. I just turned it upside down and moved it to the bottom instead!
It gave me something solid to attach the new hooks to, and it was FREE!
The hooks came from Hobby Lobby, but they were originally black.
I painted them with two coats of Cotton:
After distressing them quite a bit, I used a spray matte sealer from Rustoleum to seal them:
The transfer adds just a little something extra!
A small shelf like this could work just about anywhere!
I was so happy to give this sturdy shelf a fresh update!
And that is one more piece crossed off the list.
Many more to go!
See what I’ve redone so far at these links:
I hope you all have a wonderful weekend wherever you are, and I’ll see ya Tuesday with another shelf:
UPDATE: See how this odd shelf looks now HERE!
Don’t Miss a Thing!
If you like what you see, there are several ways to follow along!
Get FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50. No code needed at checkout! Orders under $50 always enjoy $8 flat rate shipping! Most orders ship same or next business day!