It’s that time again! Time to share my Get Your DIY on party project! If you haven’t heard the theme for the month of May, it’s “May Flowers”. If you have no idea what I’m talking about, visit our party info page here.
This can be anything involving flowers: real or artificial, hand-crafted or stamped. It can even be something in a pretty floral print or in my case, a fun planter!
I was tired of my flowers always being off to the side because of my umbrella, but I came up with the perfect solution:
Why not drill a hole in my planter and put my umbrella right through it? Now they are perfectly centered!
Here’s what you’ll need to make your own umbrella planter:
- Plastic planter (I found this one at Home Depot for around $6) **You may want to measure how much space there is between the umbrella when it’s down and your table. My umbrella clears my planter (with flowers) by about three inches.
- Drill and small drill bit
- Knife (Probably shouldn’t use your man’s favorite steak knife)
- Potting soil (not pictured)
- Flowers (I chose Impatiens because I like to keep my umbrella up all summer and these like the shade. Also, they’ll give me blooms all summer!)
Here is a quick pictorial:
- Measure the width of your umbrella post and use a sharpie to draw the cut-out area.
- Drill holes all the way around the circle.
- Use your knife to cut the circle completely.
- Remove circle to reveal little black hole.
- Feed your umbrella post through the little black hole.
- Add potting soil.
Add your flowers and you’re done!
I told you it was easy!
I tried to cut my opening the exact size as the post, but there is still enough space for water to drain without losing soil.
I thought this party theme would give us some great ideas for Mother’s Day too! What mom doesn’t love flowers?
Here’s what my creative co-hosts came up with:
Glammed Gold Spray Painted Mason Jars The Hankful House
Blissful Stenciled Filing Cabinet Transformation The Happy Housie
Paper Bag Flower Gift House by Hoff
Flower and Hymn Art Just a Girl and Her Blog
The fun starts this Sunday, May 4th at 7:00pm EST. Come link up your Flower projects or just come by to get inspired!
I can’t wait to see what everyone brings to the party!
Don’t Miss a Thing!
If you like what you see, there are several ways to follow along!