Hello dear friends, and welcome back to my little corner of the web! I’m always so thrilled when y’all stop by! Today’s French Provincial Dresser Makeover is going to feel a bit like deja vu!
This dresser is the final piece in my FREE-to-me haul:
It is one of three pieces one of my sweet neighbors passed along to me over the Summer. I love when friends and neighbors look out for me!
I really should have titled this the deja vu dresser, because I have redone it to match the other of this set!
You can see more of that makeover HERE.
That wasn’t my original plan. I already had an idea of what I wanted to do with this longer piece, but after sharing its mate a couple of weeks ago, a local friend requested that I redo this one the very same for her!
I’ve included a few affiliate links so you can find the products I love.
I planned to use Silk Mineral Paint on this dresser.
Because this dresser had been painted in a glossy finish, I started by sanding it all over to smooth it out and give the Silk paint something to grip onto:
Next, I vacuumed up all the sanding dust with my shop vac and then gave everything a good cleaning with White Lightning:
Just mix one TBSP with a 1/2 gallon of warm water. Once the piece is clean, swap the water for clean water and wipe everything down once more to remove any residue.
Once my pieces were clean and dry, I had my hubby help me move everything into my office since it was so cold in our garage!
Time for paint!
I gave everything two coats of Silk Mineral Paint in Anchor, a true black:
With Silk, you want to allow two hours between coats as it dries from the top down. Silk has a built-in topcoat, so unless you want a different sheen, that’s it!
Allow three to four weeks for your paint to fully cure before heavy use.
See the differences between painting with Silk Mineral Paint and Chalk paint HERE.
Adding a silkscreen stencil to the drawers
I decided to add the same Roses Silkscreen Stencil to the drawers on this dresser, just like I did on the first.
I used the included spatula and my Thing-a-ma-jig tool to apply the paint:
You just scoop up a bit of paint and rub it across the stencil surface.
The silkscreen stencils have a super fine screen in the open areas of the stencil. The tool pushes the paint through the screen.
They also have an adhesive back that allows for a super detailed stencil with practically zero bleed:
(That photo was from the first dresser makeover!)
The Roses Silkscreen stencil has two of these patterns included, but I only used one this time:
You should be able to get 8-10 uses from one stencil before the adhesive gives out, but I was able to complete six drawers, both sides for a total of 12 uses from just one!
It had zero stick left by the end, but I was determined, and the last one was just as detailed as the first!
See more on how to clean and store silkscreen stencils HERE.
Just like the first dresser, I rehydrated the drawers with Big Mama’s Butta in Orange Grove scent:
Let’s see how the longer version turned out, shall we?
Ooh la la!
As you can see, I also chose to add the same transfer to the front:
This is the Somewhere in France Transfer by Redesign by Prima. You can find it on Etsy if you search that name.
Applying the transfer across all those grooves!
When I agreed to paint this dresser just like the original, I hadn’t taken into account that the transfer would need to span across all those dips across the mid section.
On the first go round, I was able to apply it in whole pieces across each drawer.
To tackle this, I cut all the pieces for each section first. I centered the transfer on the center drawer and used a razor blade to trim the edges on both sides.
Then, I held up the rest of the transfer where I wanted it to go and used my razor blade to cut it along each edge, so this portion of transfer was cut into several strips:
Then I set about applying each one…first the drawer panel, then this first edge next to the drawer:
Then, the inset piece next to that…
And so forth until I had it all transferred!
That worked so much better than if I had tried to maneuver the transfer in an out of those details, and it turned out pretty seamless for having all those seams!
I love it on this piece every bit as much as I did on the first!
And the peekaboo drawers…
The hardware was spray painted in Rustoluem’s Bright gold:
There something so classic and elegant about black and gold together!
I hope you didn’t mind seeing this look again!
Here is the original for comparison:
It would have made a lovely set, but they will go to two different homes!
This is the third piece my neighbor gave me along with these two:
If you forgot what I did with this one, you can see it HERE!
And that is another haul complete!! YAY!!
Revisit any you might have missed at the links below:
I have a fun idea for my next haul, and it doesn’t involve buying anything new either! I’ll be back to share that on Tuesday!!
UPdate!! See my next haul HERE now!!
Have an amazing weekend!!
Don’t Miss a Thing!
If you like what you see, there are several ways to follow along!