Hi friends! I’m so glad you stopped by today. I’m sharing how I freshened up George’s bench. George was the previous owner of this sad, but super functional bench:
I found it at his estate sale in the corner of the garage covered in cobwebs. I know his name because he put it on the bottom:
I love that. I was drawn to this little bench because clearly it was hand-built and I loved all the imperfections.
I decided to paint it with a fun harlequin pattern…
I used flat white latex since I was painting on raw wood. The diamonds were painted with Annie Sloan’s Duck Egg blue.
I have used this pattern a couple of times before like on this piece:
And this lovely piece (I know you want to see what I could have possible done with this one, right?):
I also redid this old thrift store flatware box last year:
- Using computer paper, tape together enough pieces to create one piece the size of the surface you want to add your pattern to. Fold in three widthwise.
- Open it up and fold it in two lengthwise. Your number of folds will depend on how large your surface is and what size you want your diamonds to be.
- Use the grid created by your folds to draw out your pattern with a pencil and straight edge. (If your surface area is dark, go ever your pencil lines with white chalk.)
- Turn the paper over and lay on top of your surface. Go over the same lines again using a pencil and straight edge.
- This should transfer your lines. You can barely see them in the photo above.
- Use something to highlight the diamonds you want to tape off. I used m&ms. Tape off with Frog tape.
- Paint in the diamonds using two coats of paint.
- Remove the tape immediately after painting the second coat.
- Tape off the remaining diamonds and paint.
- Again, remove the tape immediately after the second coat.
Here is my bench in progress. You can see the pencil lines a bit more clearly here.
This is a fun way to update the surface of a piece.
I love the imperfections.
They add so much character.
And that’s how George’s bench…
…was made over.
I love making old things pretty again. Hopefully George is okay with the girly twist I gave his bench. 🙂
P.S. To my lovely and much appreciated EMAIL SUBSCRIBERS: If you are receiving my posts twice, I have recently switched email delivery services. I am working on the issue, but feel free to unsubscribe at the bottom of the posts delivered via Google. My new service is through Mail Chimp. Sorry for any inconvenience!
If you like what you see, there are several ways to follow along!
I love to share at some of these great parties:
Home Stories A to Z Not Just a Housewife Kammy’s Korner The Happy Housie Design Dining and Diapers Liz Marie Blog Funky Junk Interiors Savvy Southern Style Tatertots and Jello DIY Show Off Redoux Interiors Between Naps on the Porch The DIY Dreamer Oh My Creative Little Miss Celebration Just a Girl and Her Blog Sand and Sisal Interior Frugalista House on the Way Addicted 2 DIY I should be Mopping the Floor Miss Mustard Seed