Hello sweet friends and welcome to Furniture Fixer Upper Day! Not only do I have a brand new furniture makeover to share with you today, but so do my friends! You’ll find their makeovers at bottom!
Let’s get to it!
I’m back working on my FREE haul and this desk (once a dressing table) is getting a brand new look:
I got a message from one of my sweet neighbors from our old neighborhood several months ago asking if I was interested in this this desk, otherwise it would be donated.
Of course I said yes and headed right over to pick it up! Thank you for thinking of me, Tracey!!
I’ve included a few affiliate links so you can find the products I love.
The prep is the most important step!
The applicator pads are covered in terry cloth and are perfect for this step! See how dirty the water got? Be sure to wear gloves and then do a final wipe-down with clean water after to remove any residue.
I had a couple of areas where the veneer was missing, so next, I filled those areas with Dixie Mud:
I allowed that to dry completely and then lightly sanded the filled areas with 220 grit sandpaper to smooth them out.
The next step in our prep was to BOSS this piece as it definitely had potential to be a bleeder with that red wood!
I gave all the areas to be painted one coat of BOSS in white and let it sit overnight to thoroughly dry…
Time for Paint
Finally, the not-so-fun part was done and I could start painting!
For this piece, I chose Pink Champagne:
It is a very subtle pink color.
I decided to use my favorite tape for painting, FrogTape for delicate surfaces to add a broad stripe to the fronts of six of the drawers. I removed the tape as soon as I added my second coat of Cotton:
See how I measure out perfect stripes every time HERE.
Once everything was dry, I lightly sanded all over using 220 grit sandpaper wrapped around an old sanding sponge:
I hit the edges a bit harder to distress this one a bit.
Adding a Transfer
I’ve been wanting to try another of our new transfers called Flower Child Transfer:
This one is so pretty!
See all the transfers I have in stock HERE.
This transfer has a couple of larger pieces that you can connect to make one larger spray of flowers, but since there are enough pieces to make two of these larger sprays, I only used half of the spray and I had enough for each side.
I started at the bottom, cutting the transfer with a razor blade so that I could start with just the parts that would be on the drawer front:
This is the easiest way to work a transfer…by holding one edge and pulling up as you burnish the transfer to the surface. If any of the transfer sticks to the top clear sheet, just lay it back down and burnish some more.
Then I worked on the rest of this design, working it over the bumps. It’s easy for it to have a few boo boo areas over these parts:
That actually happend when I ran my razor blade in the crack there…it pulled off some of the transfer. It’s an easy fix if you have scraps.
I took a piece of the transfer that I didn’t plan to use on this piece and cut a few small pieces to match up what was missing along that seam.
Here it is after:
Finally, once the transfer was in place, I used a finishing pad to make sure the transfer was adhered well all over:
The pads I have in my Etsy shop are large at 4X6 each. I cut them in two and it gives me two pads.
Seal and Protect
The final step is to seal and protect all that hard work!
I cut my sponge just enough to give it a flat edge so I could get it flush with the lip of the top of the dresser. It works so well!
Everything got two coats.
You can see how I apply sealer with a sponge in this video:
If you have trouble viewing, find it on YouTube HERE.
Here is how this little lady turned out!
I chose this soft Pink Champagne color because the floral piece I chose to use had a large pale pink flower in it, but it was really hard to settle on a base color!
I really wanted to keep going and adding more transfers, but I just added this small spray to the front drawer:
I chose to leave the top just painted.
Y’all know I like to have fun with the insides of the drawers.
The only drawers that were really showing wear were the three across the top.
I chose to paint the two smaller drawers on either side in the pink:
I taped them off all around the edge with FrogTape to get a nice, crisp line.
The drawer front in the center I kept solid on the outside instead of adding stripes, but I chose instead to add them to the inside!
I then added another transfer!
The rest of the drawers were in great shape after a good cleaning, so I left those alone.
I chose to keep the original drawer pulls as I really like this style.
Then I used my nail to remove some of the paint here and there and shabby them up just a bit.
I buffed away any excess wax with a soft cloth.
And here’s a peek without the chair in the way:
The transfers really add so much!
Don’t forget my friends also have furniture makeovers to share with you today! See the afters at the links below!
I get to cross another project off my list yay!!
See the afters at the links below!
Only two more pieces left! I need to get shopping!
If you enjoyed this makeover, you might like this one too!
See what I did with it here!
And just another reminder that we have TEN brand new SILK Mineral Paint colors on the way!! I hope to have them in my hands by early next week and I will ship same or next day!! Let me know if you want to get on the list to be notified as soon as I get them listed in my Etsy shop!
They are forecasting more snow coming our way this weekend, but I’m hoping to finish this mirror frame:
UPDATE: It’s done woohoo! See what I did with it here!
Have a fantastic weekend!!
Don’t Miss a Thing!
If you like what you see, there are several ways to follow along!