Check out these beauties before:
Yeah not so beautiful, eh? They were $35 each and 20% off that, so around $60 for both chairs.
That upholstery was so gross, but the bones really were pretty, and I had high hopes that new paint and fabric would erase any traces of the sad office from whence they came.
I’m pretty sure it worked:
I chose a blue and white ticking for this set and I am so thrilled with how they came out. I found it at Hobby Lobby (no affiliation) for $7.99/yard and used my 40% off coupon so I was able to cover both chairs for less than $30!
I’ll be honest, I was dreading this project. The original fabric on these chairs was held on with about three hundred thousand staples. There were four layers to the back alone and each layer was stapled in place. That’s a LOT of staples to remove.
It took me nearly two days, but I got it done…
Thank goodness I had this little helper:
Well I’m not sure about the helper part, but he did keep me company. 🙂
This upholstery staple remover was a HUGE help though, along with my pliers:
That was the hardest part by far.
I sanded the chairs to remove any flaking areas. Then I painted them in Behr’s Bit of Sugar mixed 75/25 with Cottage White, made into DIY chalk paint. (Recipe HERE.) The white in the fabric was just a bit off-white, so I wanted the chairs to be as well.
Then I sanded a bit and sealed them with Annie Sloan’s clear soft wax.
Now for the FUN part!
- I added a layer of batting to the seats to cover that old fabric, and so they would be smooth through the ticking fabric.
- Then I stapled the fabric in place along the back edge. I used 3/8″ staples.
- I stapled the fabric along the front edge and followed with the sides, being sure not to stretch the fabric too much which would distort the stripes.
- I trimmed all the edges as closely as I could with my fabric scissors. (Sharp scissors are a must here.)
5. Next I stapled my fabric to the chair back with the right side facing out. This is what will be seen from the back.
6. Then I added a layer of batting, stapling it in place.
7. I reused the cardboard and foam that was original to the chairs since it was in good shape. I added both of those pieces, followed by another layer of batting.
8. Finally I added the fabric, and trimmed the edges with my fabric scissors.
9. To cut the fabric for my double welt trim, I used my rotary cutter, straight edge and cutting mat. (I have this set HERE)
10. I sewed double welt piping as seen in THIS step by step tutorial. Seriously, if you can sew a straight line, you can do this!
11. Then I attached my shiny new double welt trim using hot glue.
12. I added it to the top and the seat to hide all the staples.
Here’s my little helper again. I am usually working outside or in the garage. I think he enjoyed me working inside for a change.
Every time I took a photo, he had to have his photo taken too, and of course I obliged. 🙂
This set also came with a cushion for the seat. I created a new slipcover for it using the old cover as a pattern:
You can read how to make a cover for a cushion in THIS cushion cover tutorial from when I slipcovered my sectional.
Here are all my pieces ready to go:
The first one was a breeze, but the second one required a couple of redos to get it right. That’s the beauty of sewing; if at first it comes out a wonky mess, pick out the seam and try again.
I like the extra layer of comfort the cushion adds.
You may remember I shared the makeover of this drum table in January:
It was very neglected when I found it. See that makeover HERE.
I put it in my shop and then decided to go get it and bring it back home. I love the contrast of the darker stained top with these chairs.
The back is a great opportunity to add another coordinating fabric, but I chose to stick with the ticking to keep it simple:
Guess what I’ll be doing with these? Keeping them!
I just love how they turned out, and they look great flanking my media cabinet in place of the chairs I had there previously.
I’m so excited with how these turned out, and honestly that I was able to save them at all.
Don’t forget my friends are sharing furniture makeovers of their own today!
Click the links below the image to see the afters.
Hope you enjoyed this makeover! Here’s another set I redid that you might like:
See how they turned out HERE!
I’ll be back on Tuesday sharing how I updated this flatware box:
It’s going to get HOT here this weekend, but at least no rain! Hope it’s nice where you are! 🙂
UPDATE: Check out what I did to update this boring box HERE now!
Don’t Miss a Thing!
If you like what you see, there are several ways to follow along!