Hello, amazing friends and welcome to Furniture Fixer Upper day!! I have a gorgeous serpentine dresser with French transfer makeover for y’all today! And my friends have furniture flips of their own, so be sure to visit their projects at the bottom!
I’ve included a few affiliate links so you can find the products I love.
Here is how this classic serpentine beauty started:
Nice, right? Now here’s the good, the bad, and the ugly!
It was a steal at only $34.95! And, it had zero stink yay!
But…isn’t there always a but?
It needed serious work to bring it back to life!
The top had missing and chipped veneer and one of the drawers needed an entirely new bottom:
I was able to remove a good portion of the veneer pretty easily:
But then, there was no budging what was left. I applied soaking wet towels to the remaining veneer and let it sit overnight and part of the next day:
Once I scraped away the rest of the veneer, I gave the top a good sanding using my rotary sander:
Once the top was taken care of, I moved on to the drawer bottom that needed replacing. Someone had tried to hold it together with a piece of an old crate at one time:
But it really needed to be replaced. I traced the bottom pieces onto a fresh piece of thin plywood and then cut it with my Ryobi jigsaw
This is a great saw to use on those rounded edges, especially if you swap out the original blade for a smaller scroll saw blade (made for the jig saw).
Most of the dovetail joints were loose and coming apart as well. I used wood glue to glue them all back together.
Once the drawers were all repaired, I sanded all the sides to make them fresh and new looking again using my Corner Cat Ryobi Sander:
Finally, I was getting closer to the good part!
Once I had everything repaired, I gave all the pieces a good vacuum with my shop vac followed by a thorough cleaning with White Lightning:
I rinsed with clean water and I was ready for paint!
Or so I thought.
This dresser threw me another curve ball.
As I started to apply the paint, I immediately got bleed through:
It may be difficult to see it in that photo, but that was an open invitation for my go-to stain blocker, BOSS:
This white BOSS will both block the bleed, and save me a coat of white paint.
I let that dry overnight to be sure it was good and dry. (Proper dry time is the key with BOSS!)
Then I was ready for paint!
This was the first coat and you can see how yellow the BOSS was underneath in that photo.
I taped off all my drawers with FrogTape before painting to get a nice clean edge and removed it as soon as I applied my final coat of paint.
All the painted areas got a good sanding with 220 grit sandpaper to make my surfaces as smooth as possible, hitting the edges a bit more to distress.
I vacuumed all the surfaces with my shop vac to clean up any sanding dust.
See my complete tutorial for The Best Way to Paint Furniture White HERE.
Of course I reached for another gorgeous Redesign with Prima Transfer, the French Specialties transfer:
The fantastic thing about these transfers is that you can use them as is, or you can cut them up and use them any way you like!
That’s what I had to do since the original design didn’t fit my dresser.
I first laid this dresser on its back and then decided on the pieces I wanted to use.
Once I was settled on a design I liked, I used the included tool to burnish it to the surface:
I also have a nicer tool in my shop HERE if you use a lot of transfers.
I kept adding my design until it was complete!
This piece has yet to be sealed because I noticed some blemishes on the top that I hadn’t noticed until I pulled it out into the light of day. I’d like to fix them with Dixie Mud first. I ran out of time before I needed to take photos, but I’ll seal with Clear Coat in Satin using the blue sponge once I get those taken care of.
Serpentine Dresser with French Transfer the After
Here is how this classic beauty looks now!
I love a classic black and white!
I always get questions about the clock when I share it in posts…it came from HomeGoods several years ago.
I swapped out the plain wooden knobs for these pretty metal ones from Hobby Lobby…
They came already painted and were just perfect for this dresser!
Of course I had to give the drawers some love!
For these drawers, I made a pattern first and used my rotary cutter set to cut the fabric:
Here’s a video on how I line drawers with fabric:
If you have trouble viewing, find it on YouTube HERE.
I applied the fabric with matte Mod Podge.
And how pretty are the rest of the drawers now?
After sanding the wooden sides, I rehydrated them with Big Mama’s Butta in Orange Grove scent. It smells so good and makes the drawers look amazing!
I used my Best Dang Brush to apply it and a clean, soft cloth to remove the excess:
Look at the sheen after buffing!
I also added it to the bottoms of the drawers where they slide and they slide like a dream!
They look SO good now!
I loved watching this dresser come back to life with each step!
I still have a few pieces of this transfer left that I can use on another project:
This transfer was just what it needed to finish it off!
Find this one and over 120 more in my Etsy shop!
Don’t forget to visit my friends’ Furniture Fixer Uppers as well!
Only one more furniture piece in this haul to go!
See anything you might have missed at the links below:
I’m working on a few things from this haul at the moment, but I’ll be back with this piece on Tuesday!
Have a wonderful weekend!!
UPATE: See how I repurposed the frame of this rooster art HERE now!
Don’t Miss a Thing!
If you like what you see, there are several ways to follow along!
Get FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50. No code needed at checkout! Orders under $50 always enjoy $8 flat rate shipping! Most orders ship same or next business day!