Hello beautiful friends! It’s one of my favorite days of the month! Today my Furniture Fixer Upper girls and I are all sharing furniture makeovers! You’ll get one from me and then be sure to scroll all the way down to see what my friends are making over as well!
I’m including a few affiliate links so you can find the products I love.
But first, I want to announce the winner of my Dixie Belle Painting Prize Pack Giveaway!! Congratulations to Elaine from Wisconsin! She has been notified and has responded, excited to collect her loot. Thank you to everyone who entered! I’ll be having another giveaway before the holidays!
Let’s get to today’s makeover! I found this dresser at the thrift store last month for $79:
That’s more than I like to spend, but it’s Drexel and it was in excellent condition. (Find those dolly wheels HERE.)
There was only one teeny tiny problem…it stunk to high heaven! It was mostly cigarette odor mixed with a floral of some sort that was used to perhaps mask the odor? I didn’t really notice it until I was locked inside my car with it in the back! By then, it was too late. I usually pass on anything that has an odor to it.
So the first thing I needed to do was remedy that smell. You would probably never guess what I used!
Vodka! I set out to find the cheapest vodka I could…
This was only $6.
I read in the comment section of a website several years ago where a commenter recommended vodka for removing odors from furniture. A couple of other commenters agreed that vodka does in fact work. I have always wanted to give it a try so this was the perfect opportunity!
I used one of my Dixie Belle sponges to apply it to all the surfaces that would not be getting painted. That included the entire inside cavity of the dresser and all the drawers, inside and out:
Did it work?
Yes! So actually I did it twice on one of the drawers and there is zero odor left. I gave everything else only one coat and it got rid of 95% of the odor, so I would say if you were willing to give everything two coats of the stuff, it’s a winner! It’s no fun breathing in vodka for an hour though. I should have taken a couple of shots while I was at it.
When I was giving the rest of the dresser a good wipe down with Lysol wipes, a ton of orangish colored gunk came off of the surface. I was leary of that bleeding through so I went ahead and gave the dresser a coat of BOSS in white to prevent any bleedthrough:
I left it to dry overnight. You might also notice that I taped off the inside of the dresser with FrogTape all the way around. That’s to create a nice clean paint line so it looks nice when you remove the drawers.
I followed up with three coats of Dixie Belle Cotton for solid coverage. If you find that your paint is going on a bit thick on the second and third coats, keep a cup of water nearby to dip your brush into every once in a while. Your paint will glide on like butter.
When the paint was dry, I sanded all over and distressed the edges using 220 grit sandpaper. I find it easier to sand by hand if I wrap the sandpaper around an old foam sanding block:
This sandpaper is awesome… it comes in sheets that I cut into four.
Okay now…are ya’ll ready for some deja vu??
Does this look familiar?
If you remember the blue night table I redid from my last haul, it had very similar legs.
I decided that if it was still in my booth when I did this dresser, then I would redo this one to match.
Those drawers with the trim pieces are perfect candidates for a fabric inlay treatment…
This fabric started out as curtain panels I picked up at HomeGoods.
I used my rotary cutter and straight edge/mat kit to cut the fabric to fit the fronts of the drawers…
Then I used matte Mod Podge as a glue to attach it the front. I just brushed it on with an inexpensive chip brush. You can see a little more detail on how I added the fabric in the night table post HERE. There is no need to add Mod Podge over the top of the fabric.
I used most of the same hardware, except for the two knobs on the top two drawers…I replaced them with these pretty glass ones from Hobby Lobby:
I always love the bit of sparkle glass knobs give. Hobby Lobby’s hardware is 50% off every other week!
The rest of the hardware was painted in Cotton. I used a putty knife to knock some paint off here and there to distress them…
I tried to get a photo without all the junk that usually resides on my work table getting into the picture…I am so messy when I’m working!
My house stays neat, but I am terrible about keeping my workspace clean! I just push things over and move onto the next project! Luckily my work table is in the back corner of the garage so it doesn’t look quite as bad from afar!
Or maybe it does lol…anyway that is where I work on most of my projects.
You can hardly see the hardware in the photo below:
This is a really nice quality dresser. It even has a secret compartment…can you see it?
(You can see the nice clean line of paint that the Frogtape helped to create.)
This cool compartment swings out for storing whatever you don’t want found:
I didn’t line the drawers in this one. I had planned to use a pretty coordinating striped fabric, but I didn’t have enough for all the drawers, so I still need to do that. I think it adds a nice surprise when you open the drawers.
Don’t forget my girls have even more furniture makeover inspiration for you today!
I hope you enjoyed this makeover! I really enjoyed knocking out the biggest project in this pile!
If you missed the first two, you can see them here:
I’ll be back on Tuesday sharing what I did with this drop leaf side table:
UPDATE: Check out the fun new color I used on this table HERE now!
Have an amazing weekend!
Don’t Miss a Thing!
If you like what you see, there are several ways to follow along!