Hello beautiful friends! I’m so excited today because Nancy and I have a brand new Thriftshop Shakedown video to share with you!!
Nancy blogs at Artsy Chicks Rule and we met about six years ago or so through our blogs. Would you believe that we started our blogs only days apart in the same year? We’ve been dear friends ever since!
Every few months we get together for a day of thrifting and we record it so we can share it with you! We also each pick out something to make over while we’re shopping. Today we’ll show you what we did with our finds! Be sure to look for Nancy’s makeover at the bottom!
I hope you enjoy the video!!
If you have any trouble viewing the video, you can see it on YouTube HERE.
So here is what I found on our hunt to redo:
It had gorgeous carved details that I immediately fell in love with.
I usually try to keep the upholstery intact if it’s in good shape, and I’ll just cover right over the existing fabric. However, this one smelled super musty. I decided I would remove the padding and fabric and replace it.
Except there was no padding…only straw!
Oh my heavens, it was so gross, ya’ll. I half expected to find something dead in there with the way it smelled.
But nope…just springs and about 100-year-old straw.
The upholstery webbing was dry-rotted.
I decided everything needed to go! I’ve included a few affiliate links so you can find the products I love.
But first, let’s see if I was able to save this sweet piece?
Yes, I was!
And I promise it doesn’t smell anymore!
I decided to ditch everything except for the frame of the original seat:
I haven’t tossed that needlepoint fabric that was on top yet, but I’m not sure I want to keep it. It kind of gives me the heebie-jeebies now.
To create a functional seat, I started by removing all the nails from the frame. Then I used my jigsaw to cut a piece of thin plywood to fit the seat, using the frame as a pattern:
Then I cut 3″ foam that I purchased from Hobby Lobby to fit the seat using a sharp knife:
It wasn’t ideal, but it did the job.
I condensed the rest of the how-to photos into a couple of photo collages so you can skip ahead easily if you don’t need all this info!
1. I sanded all the edges of the wood I cut smooth and then nailed it to the frame with small nails.
2. Then laid it on top of my foam and wrapped it in batting. I pulled it taut and stapled it in place.
3. Then I started adding the fabric at the front, middle.
4. After adding several staples across the front, I moved to the opposite side, pulling the fabric taut as I stapled it in place. Be careful not to skew the pattern if you are using checks or stripes!
5. I continued all the way around, starting each side in the middle and working my way to the corners.
6. I folded each corner to look like this.
7. The seat just sits in the chair opening, so I wanted the bottom to look finished as well. I used carpet tacks to secure a piece of fabric across the bottom, folding the edges under all the way around to give it a neat finish.
The chair itself was painted in Dixie Belle’s Cotton. However, it bled slightly after the first coat. I should have known better.
This one is a great size! That did the trick…I gave it one more coat of the Cotton and no more bleed through! I sealed with Dixie Belle’s Best Dang Wax in clear. It isn’t super smelly like others I’ve used.
Those beautiful carved details stand out so much more now…
Here’s another peek at the seat…
And the underside of the cushion…
And the back…
I’ll admit, it was tough painting over the beautiful wood on this chair, but now it has a fresh new life!
Here’s what Nancy found to redo:
She found hers at our very first stop!
Click HERE to see what she did with it!
And as promised, here are a few photos from our yard sale…the first hour and a half pretty much looked like this:
We were probably about 30 minutes in when I remembered to take photos.
I bought this rolling hanging rack on Amazon and it was so helpful for hanging clothes!
My Mom and my sister did it as well, so this is a combination of all of our things.
Brennan finally decided he was too old for many of his toys…
It looks like he had a ton, but he inherited a bunch of his cousin’s toys as well as a few of Jack’s.
And that’s about all I got. It was a huge success and our closets are all a little cleaner!
We donated most of what didn’t sell, but there were a couple of things I decided to keep and redo. I also have a few things that I was planning to sell but decided to keep and make over instead. I’ll share those on Tuesday! Here is one of them:
This used to hang in Brennan’s nursery! I’ll share what I did with it next week!
UPDATE: I think you’re going to love this one! See how I updated HERE now!
I hope you enjoyed shopping with us!
Don’t Miss a Thing!
If you like what you see, there are several ways to follow along!