Hi all! I found this gorgeous headboard on a Facebook yard sale group a couple of months ago and had to go see it. A local upholstering company was selling it out of their warehouse. As soon as I saw it, I knew it was coming home with me, only it was four days later. It was so big, there was no way it was going to fit into my SUV, so I had to end up picking it up with my hubby’s truck…on my birthday!
It was listed at $75, but the girl selling it took my offer of $60. What a steal!
They had just upholstered it in this pretty fabric, but since I was in the market to flip this beautiful piece, I thought it would sell faster if it were more neutral.
I was originally going to redo it in black and white toile. It’s such a pretty look for a bedroom, but after recently upholstering my French Provincial chairs, I decided to upholster this headboard to match.
As you can see, I also painted it to match the chairs. I really wish I could keep this, but I already have a bed that I love.
I had a ton of requests for a tutorial on the chairs, including the double welting (that’s the corded trim that finishes the edges off nicely). I’ll be putting tutorials for both of those together very soon, I promise!
The hardest part of this upholstery project was getting the fabric to line up!
Of course I’m such a pro at it (no I’m not) that it lined up perfectly the very first time…bahahahaha…my pants are SO on fire. It took me about four times to redo this to get it right!
The fabric (from Hancock Fabrics), is 54 inches wide, so I centered that and added the additional width I needed to either side.
The foam underneath was still in perfect condition since it had just been upholstered…
So I just centered my fabric and stapled it close to the edge all the way around, folding the edges under as I went…
I used my $8 light duty Stanley staple gun from Walmart. It works perfectly!
Here it is going on. I hot glued it in place.
I planned on sharing the how to for the welting with this post, but there are so many pictures, I decided to break it up.
The paint I used is my DIY paint in Behr’s Cottage white again. I buy it by the gallon because I just love it.
It is the perfect shade of ivory.
This headboard fits right in in this corner of my dining room perfectly:
Think I could convince the hubby to move our dining table upstairs, so I could set up my new bedroom in here?
I also have this fun giveaway still going on until the 17th, that includes a storage case I redid in the same fabric, along with a few of my favorite things!
I’d love to know what you think of the headboard, and what you thought about the original fabric? I delivered the chairs to the shop last week and took this piece in on Monday and the chairs had sold! So much for upholstering this to match. Oh well, maybe the buyer will be back. 🙂
If you like what you see, there are several ways to follow along!
I love to share at some of these great parties:
Home Stories A to Z Not Just a Housewife Kammy’s Korner The Happy Housie Design Dining and Diapers Liz Marie Blog Funky Junk Interiors Savvy Southern Style Tatertots and Jello DIY Show Off Redoux Interiors Between Naps on the Porch The DIY Dreamer Oh My Creative Little Miss Celebration Just a Girl and Her Blog Sand and Sisal Interior Frugalista House on the Way Addicted 2 DIY I should be Mopping the Floor My Repurposed Life Miss Mustard Seed