Since January is the month of all things organization, its high time I got one thing organized…my recipes! I’m a bit of a lazy recipe collector in that I like to clip and file. Please don’t make me copy my recipes to an index card, there’s NEVER enough space!
For the past couple of years, this has been my system:
I know, not much of a system. This is a photo album and what I love about it is that I can just slip my recipes the plastic sleeves and move on.
But as my collection has grown, it’s getting increasingly difficult to find what I’m looking for. Now if that got me out of cooking, that would be great and we wouldn’t be having this little visit right now.
But since it doesn’t, I decided to search for a solution and I found just the thing at Michaels. This binder and coordinating inserts are from the “Becky Higgins Project Life” collection. (This is NOT a sponsored post, just love these and want to share!)
I didn’t want a regular three-ring binder. I wanted something more compact and this ($14.99) was perfect. I also picked up pretty card stock and some embellishments for the cover.
The obvious first step: insert plastic inserts!
These plastic sleeves ($4.99 for 12) hold 4X6 cards or whatever else fits in a 4X6 space (since you know how I feel about cards 🙂 ).
I searched for dividers, but I didn’t find anything that I liked so I decided to make my own tabs for each section.
This pretty chevron paper I found came with a stiff, thin piece of cardboard (more like a very thin chip board) to help protect it from bending in the package. The paper wasn’t stiff enough on its own, but gluing these together was the perfect solution! (I actually thought the paper was what was stiff and that’s why I bought it, but soon realized it wasn’t.)
First I cut 1″ strips of card stock and 1 1/4″ strips of the thin cardboard.
Next I used Mod Podge like a glue to adhere them to one another and then cut them into 1 1/2″ pieces to create my divider tabs.
I printed my section headings on return address labels. Then I trimmed them on either side and adhered them to my tabs. I had to add an “appetizer” tab, but I kept my sections really simple. I love that I can make it my own!
I used double-sided tape to attach them to the underside of my inserts. I cut the cardboard strip a bit bigger because I thought the tape might adhere better to that part than the glittery paper.
Time to load it up with recipes!
I am loving it!! It’s so much more functional…and pretty!
The last step was adding the embellishments I purchased to the front. I mod podged the paper on and used E6000 glue to attach the metal pieces.
It feels so good to organize something that has been driving me crazy! It’s so much easier to find things now!
I guess that means I’d better get cooking!
Now if I could only find the motivation to clean the garage…I think I’ll go pull out my new recipe book and hold it for a while instead. 🙂
If you like what you see, there are several ways to follow along!
I love to share at some of these great parties:
Home Stories A to Z Not Just a Housewife Kammy’s Korner The Happy Housie Design Dining and Diapers Liz Marie Blog Funky Junk Interiors Savvy Southern Style Tatertots and Jello DIY Show Off Redoux Interiors Between Naps on the Porch The DIY Dreamer Oh My Creative Little Miss Celebration Just a Girl and Her Blog Sand and Sisal Interior Frugalista House on the Way Addicted 2 DIY I should be Mopping the Floor Miss Mustard Seed