Welcome to Trash to Treasure Tuesday! Usually my T2T Tuesday pals and I bring you only ONE new makeover the second Tuesday of each month as part of this series, but this month we decided why not dig through our archives, find our favorites, and share one EVERY Tuesday this month?
I’ve picked a few that I just love! If you missed what I picked to share last week, it was my Farmhouse Hutch and you can see it HERE.
Today I am so excited to share my French Provincial Chair makeover with you! This one is from 2014, and it’s one of my favorite makeovers, mostly because the before and after is night and day. This project was not for wimpy DIYers, though…it almost kicked my tail!
My Mom and I spied these chairs at an estate. We passed on them, knowing they required a lot of work, but she had a change of heart and went back for them the next day. Luckily everything was 50% 0ff and she scored these two beauties for $55 for the pair! Steal!! They ended up not working in the space she was envisioning them in, and she dropped them off to me the next day.
Here they are as we found them:
If you look closely, you might be able to tell they were actually painted. I didn’t realize it until I started working on them.
I hadn’t planned on painting the frames, but the paint was smeared on them in several places.
Here is the big reveal:
This is my favorite fabric. ( The same fabric I used on my Desk Chair and the Dresser I redid with fabric on the drawers.) It is perfect because while it still has a neutral feel, the color and pattern hide a multitude. It has held up extremely well on my desk chair. It is a heavier weight decorator fabric I found at Hancock Fabrics.
It normally retails for $29.99 a yard, but I was lucky to find it at 50% off. I think I used about a yard and a half for each chair.
I am so in love with how they turned out! I had to guard them like crazy from my claw-happy cat and Cheetos-fingered four-year old. (He’s five now, and knows to wash his fingers now thank goodness!) That was no easy undertaking.
I thought (actually I wasn’t thinking at all) that I could just cover over the existing upholstery. Easy as pie. I got right to it painting out the frame before I got started on the fabric part.
Perfect…except um…there is no way to cover over the side panels that are attached to the inside frame. Ugh. So I pulled, yanked, cursed, tugged, cursed at a gazillion staples that were holding this thing together.
I even threw in some of this action:
I had to use my leg for leverage. Two hours later…
I was done…with one chair. Are you kidding, I have another whole chair to go?? I couldn’t be satisfied with one chair for my big reveal, Oh No that wasn’t good enough. I MUST have two chairs.
And so I continued…yanking, pulling, cursing, tugging, cursing… I woke up to this that Tuesday morning:
Actually two like this. I worked feverishly the entire day…
Learning as I went of course because that’s how I do…
It was kind of fun to see it all come back together. I even made my own double welt cording. (Much cheaper!)
I took photos of every step and if anyone is curious to see the entire process, I put together a complete how-to HERE.
If you are looking to tackle a similar project, here are a few suggestions:
- Take photos of each step as you remove the old upholstery to reference when it’s time to reupholster.
- Mark each piece before you remove anything:
- Use these pieces as pattern pieces for your new upholstery.
- Paint AFTER you remove the old upholstery. (Some idiot out there might try to paint it first.)
- Wear work gloves to prevent blisters. (Trust me…or gardening gloves…hey it was all I had.)
If you see how everything comes apart, as long as you have lots of photos to refer back to, you should be able to piece it back together. I used the same foam and batting since it was in decent shape (and free).
I know I saved a lot by making my own double welt cording, but there are a trims you can purchase too if you prefer that look and don’t want to bother with sewing your own.
Fifteen hours later, I was done. Marathon upholstery I tell ya! But the results were so worth it!
Beautiful details along the front…
I used Behr’s Cottage White made into DIY chalk paint. I sanded a bit and waxed with Annie Sloan’s clear soft wax, followed by a very light amount of dark wax. You almost can’t even see it in the photos, but you can in real life.
I love the peek-a-boo panels on the sides and back…
I would have loved to have been able to keep them, but did I mention I had a claw-happy cat (still do) and a Cheetos-fingered four year-old (so glad we’re past that!)? These headed to my booth and sold almost right away. 🙂
To see more of the how-to for these chairs, click HERE.
To see my tutorial for double welting, click HERE.
I’ve almost forgotten the feeling of the permanent staple gun grip my right hand was left with after this makeover. Might be time to tackle another set. (There’s one waiting in my garage!)
Have you ever reupholstered anything? Did it go well?
Hope you enjoyed this flashback as much as I did! But don’t go anywhere just yet!
My Thrift Store junkie friends are sharing four more amazing makeovers today!
Oh, and GIVEAWAY ALERT!
If you have your own yard sale, Craigslist, thrift store, roadside find makeover, share it with me and my T2T friends on Instagram with the tag #TrashtoTreasureTransformation! The winner will get an Instagram feature on all 5 of our feeds and a prize pack from Fusion Mineral Paint!! Good luck!
Don’t Miss a Thing!
If you like what you see, there are several ways to follow along!
I love to share at these great parties:
The Happy Housie Design Dining and Diapers Liz Marie Blog Funky Junk Interiors Savvy Southern Style Tatertots and Jello DIY Show Off Between Naps on the Porch Just a Girl and Her Blog Sand and Sisal Interior Frugalista