How do you feel about Secret Santa gift exchanges? Fun? Stressful? Several of my friends in Blogland and I are participating in a Secret Santa swap this year and today I’m sharing what I made for my Secret Santa, and also what I received!
I guess it wasn’t really a secret, since we knew who had us from the start, but I thought it would be fun, and then it became very stressful! You see, the person I had to make a gift for is Jennifer Rizzo. I love love (really) love her style, but what intimidated me was the fact that she just launched a book titled: Creatively Christmas. She wrote the book on it, y’all. I had to put that out of my mind!
Then I remembered my amazing haul of six vintage bedspreads I scored at a yard sale for $50. I shared this pic on Facebook:
Who wouldn’t want something handmade from these beauties?
So I gave it a go:
Can you see the Christmas Tree in there? It’s very subtle because of the white on white.
Everyone can find a place for a pillow, right?
For the back, I used the fringed edge to add a fun detail:
She could also use this side when it’s not Christmas!
One of these bedspreads was discolored along the top (I tried to bleach it) and the other one had a few tears in it, so I didn’t feel so bad cutting into them.
I added beading detail to the Christmas Tree…
Here’s how I did it in case anyone wants give it a go:
- (I washed both bedspreads first.) Then I cut the front piece and the two back pieces in the dimensions shown. I cut them the width of the pillow, which was 17″. I prefer a snug fit.
- I cut a pattern for the tree, pinned it to the contrasting fabric, and cut it out.
- I embellished the tree with several glass beads, using a needle for beading and thread.
- I pinned the tree the front piece, then tucked the outer edges under very slightly as I zigzagged the edges.
- To add the back envelope closure, I laid the front piece face up and laid the fringed back piece face down.
- Then I added the other back piece, face down, and sewed all around the outer edge.
- Lastly, I clipped the corners and turned my pillow right side out. I inserted the pillow form and that’s it!
I also sent Miss Jennifer one of my No-Knit Mitten Ornaments…
I sure hope she likes what I made for her.
Ready to see what I got from my Secret Santa?
She also sent me a few of these sweet sheet music birds, which I already incorporated into my Christmas mantel:
Aren’t they so pretty? You can see how she made them here. Thanks again, Angie! 🙂
I started pulling out my Christmas flair yesterday. The freezing cold weather has put me in the Christmas spirit for sure! I’ll have to wait till Friday to put up our tree though, since my family prefers a real tree.
I hope you enjoyed seeing what we exchanged! Follow the links below to see what everyone participating exchanged! You just might get some fabulous ideas for Christmas gifts!
If you like what you see, there are several ways to follow along!
I love to share at some of these great parties:
Home Stories A to Z Not Just a Housewife Kammy’s Korner The Happy Housie Design Dining and Diapers Liz Marie Blog Funky Junk Interiors Savvy Southern Style Tatertots and Jello DIY Show Off Redoux Interiors Between Naps on the Porch The DIY Dreamer Oh My Creative Little Miss Celebration Just a Girl and Her Blog Sand and Sisal Interior Frugalista House on the Way Addicted 2 DIY I should be Mopping the Floor My Repurposed Life Miss Mustard Seed