Hello sweet friends!! We are moving right along on our kitchen update, and today I am back to share how I gave our range hood a custom look for around $50. I had shared a couple of ideas of what I liked in this post HERE, but they had different range hoods than we did, so I had to figure out how to build a range hood cover that worked with the one we have.
First, let’s remember what it looked like before:
There were two small cabinet doors above it, but that storage space was mostly taken up with the vent pipe, leaving very little usable storage.
And I don’t think we’ll miss it at all:
What do you think?
This was not terribly difficult to do once I figured out how to go about it.
I hate that the bare wall and open cabinet are detracting from the pictures, but you can imagine how it will look when it’s all done. I’ve included a few affiliate links so you can find the products I love.
Of course I took photos of each step to share with you so you can create this look if you have a similar range hood.
First of all, all of the buttons to work the vent and lights are underneath and still can be easily accessed…
As you can see, I simply encased the existing vent in wood. (Someone clean that vent!)
Here are the supplies you will need:
- (2) 2×4 sheet of sanded plywood in 1/2″ thickness (The Home Depot)
- (1) 2×4 sheet of sanded plywood in 3/4″ thickness (The Home Depot)
- poplar strips (I used (6) .25 x 2.5 x 36 pieces) (The Home Depot)
- circular saw
- miter saw
- Kreg Jig Jr
- Kreg Jig Screws
- Wood filler/putty knife
- Brown Kraft paper
- extra pair of hands
1. Start by prepping your space. I laid down brown paper on the counter under our range hood, and taped off the stainless parts with FrogTape.
2. To create the range hood cover, you’ll need to cut these basic pieces first:
3. The three pieces in the center are the front panels and I started with those using the 1/2″ ply.
The top of each panel rests just inside the lip of the top of the cabinet opening. I mitered the bottom edges to 30• so that they would sit flush with the thin strip that will span the front of the range hood. The reason I cut three panels is because my miter saw will only cut pieces up to 12″ in length. However, together they are the exact width of the cabinet opening, which is also the exact width of our range hood.
The seams will be covered by the poplar pieces, so be sure to cut where you know those will go.
I joined them together with poplar scraps and small screws:
A biscuit joiner would be ideal if you have one of those but I do not.
4. Next I cut the narrow piece for across the front of my range hood using my circular saw.
5. To determine how to cut the triangular side pieces, I had my son hold one of the front panels in place, then I butted my sheet of 3/4″ ply right up against it and flush with the cabinet. I traced the long edge with a pencil. Then I had him hold the narrow front piece in place as well and traced the rest of the way. (It was only the two of us, so unfortunately I did not get a good photo of that step.)
I cut those pieces with my circlular saw (great for larger cuts on larger pieces) as well:
As well as my miter saw (perfect for smaller cuts on smaller pieces):
6. Next I used my Kreg Jig Jr and drill to drill three pocket holes on each side piece:
This tool is the reason I chose to use 3/4″ ply for the side pieces. This handy tool is perfect for attaching pieces at a 90• angle.
7. I attached these pieces to my cabinetry first using Kreg Jig screws:
8. Then I attached the piece across the front in between the two side pieces with my nailgun:
9. The center panel was next. I had help holding it flush in place while I secured it with my nailgun through the side pieces:
I started to add the first poplar strip across the top before I took that photo, but the top sits flush with the outside edge of the top of the cabinet opening.
10. I then added a strip of poplar across the top, bottom, and bottom sides equal to the width of the new cover. I held the bottom sides in place with wood glue. I was able to attach the bottom front piece with my nailgun on either side, and then secured it with wood glue across the front…
11. Then I added the four strips across the front, securing them with wood glue and my nailgun where possible and just wood glue in places where the metal range hood was directly underneath:
I had planned to add another bead of decorative trim at the top and bottom of that narrow front piece, but as you can see I am already pretty close to the cabinet door on that left side so I called it done at this point.
I filled the holes with wood putty and caulked along the slats on top and along all the inside edges. I also filled in the underside with wood putty and a putty knife to eliminate the look of plywood. You can see where I started on the right side:
I sanded it smooth when it was dry, and then primed and painted and that was that! You can see how smooth that bottom edge looked after a good sanding:
It looks like one solid piece of wood.
I love the charm this new addition to our kitchen adds!
Even if the backsplash is still not done…the pendant lights have yet to be changed out… and two doors awaiting glass panels are still in the garage.
I used the same paint and primer on the range hood cover that I used on the cabinets: Kilz premium primer and Behr’s Ultra Pure White in a Satin finish, right off the shelf. I cut in the same using a brush, and rolled out the rest with a 4″ foam roller made for cabinets that I purchased from Lowes.
If you missed how I made over the island with beadboard, you can visit that HERE.
That’s one project closer to completing this kitchen update!
I’m hoping to be able to share our new pendant lights on Thursday!
UPDATE: Yes!! The new pendants installed, and you can see them HERE now! 🙂
Don’t Miss a Thing!
If you like what you see, there are several ways to follow along!