If you asked me what project I receive the most emails about, I would say hands down, my Sew Easy Outdoor Cushion Covers tutorial. People are so excited that they can cover their worn out cushions for a fraction of the cost of new ones and I love to hear all the positive feedback. I even receive pictures! But the second project I get the most emails about is not even something I created. Know what it is?
I shared it as part of my Front Yard Garden Tour last Summer, and I have had countless requests for the tutorial! Unfortunately I purchased it from a local craft market last Spring, so sorry, but no tutorial…until now! Here is my version:
Not too shabby!
Today I am sharing the how-to on this whimsical teapot garden feature!
To get started, you’ll need the following supplies:
- Two garden stakes
- 1/2″ Copper piping cut to the lengths shown
- Clear bud vase
- Cup and saucer
- Tea Spoon
- Teapot with lid and a large enough bottom to fit flange
- 1/2″ Galvanized floor flange (or copper if you can find one)
- 1/2″ 45 degree Copper Elbow ( a sweet reader said it is called a “short sleeve” elbow)
- 1/2″ Copper Male Adapter
- E6000 Glue
- Crystal Prism (I found this pack of five at Home Depot, but this only requires one.)
- Cotton ball (not pictured)
- Cotton Swab (not pictured)
- Glue gun/ glue (not pictured)
- Fine fishing line
and one of these:
My hubby calls it a tubing cutter. This is what I used to cut the copper piping, super easy!
Let’s Get Started!
The first step is to add little E6000 glue, using a cotton swab, to the threads of the male adapter, and then screw it into the floor flange. Then also using a cotton swab, add glue to smaller rim of the elbow:
Then insert it into the male adapter. Set them aside to dry.
Next grab your cup and saucer. Apply E6000 glue to the bottom of the cup.
Glue to the saucer. Then apply glue to the spoon back and the backside of the top of the spoon handle, and attach it to the saucer.
I found this cup and saucer at Homegoods for $3.99. The spoon was a thrift store find.
Set aside to dry. Replace the gold wire in one of the prisms with fine fishing line, so it will appear more water-like. Leave about six inches of thread attached at the top.
Grab your teapot and the cotton ball. Apply E6000 to the cotton ball.
There you have it, a picture of a cotton ball with glue on it. What can I say, I like to be thorough. Insert the extra fishing line through the spout of the teapot, then insert the cotton ball into the spout from the inside:
This small cavity will be filled with hot glue once the E6000 dries. Now you can glue the lid of your teapot in place.
Once the glue has dried, fill the spout opening with hot glue. You will need to hold it at an angle so that it will not drip out, until it firms up, about 5-7 minutes.
Find a container that will hold your teapot upside down. I used a Rubbermaid container. Apply E6000 glue to the bottom of the flange and attach to the bottom of the teapot, with the elbow angled toward the spout like so:
Next, turn your cup and saucer upside down and glue the bud vase to the bottom.
That’s pretty much it! Allow both pieces to dry overnight.
Install it Properly
To install your beautiful new creation, first hammer in the garden stake, then apply the copper piping over it. DO NOT HAMMER THE COPPER as it will become distorted and your teapot will not attach to the fitting properly.
This is not glued in place, for easier storage if you decide to remove it during the Winter months. Position the stake for the cup and saucer centered directly below the dangling crystal. The bud vase should easily slip over the copper piping.
I found this teapot back a couple of months ago at a thrift store for $2.25. I knew exactly what I wanted to do with it.
Here is the view from the back:
This is in my front garden, you can see my front door in the background.
Now I have a tutorial to refer my inquiries to! The gals who made the original don’t ship since it’s not cost productive, but you can find more info about their “Y’art” here. The total cost for this was a bit more than I would usually spend on such a project, even with a thrift store teapot, bud vase, and spoon. Out of pocket I spent around $36 for this, but it’s totally worth it! Wouldn’t this make a fantastic gift for Mother’s Day? (Okay I’m a month late, but maybe next year?)
This is my DIY Summer Fun project for our Get Your DIY on Party that starts this Sunday!
If you’re kinda new here, I along with four other fabulous co-hosts, host a themed link party the first Sunday of every month. We share our own themed creations the week before. Here is what we all came up with for this challenge:
My teapot garden feature reminds me of Summer time in my garden!
The fun starts this Sunday, July 6th at 7:00pm EST. Come link up your favorite Summer Fun projects or just come by to get inspired!
(This theme is really open! Anything that reminds you of Summer, the beach, vacation, outdoor fun… come share it with us!)
I can’t wait to see what everyone brings to the party!
If you like what you see, there are several ways to follow along!
I love to share at some of these great parties:
Home Stories A to Z Not Just a Housewife Kammy’s Korner The Happy Housie Design Dining and Diapers Liz Marie Blog Funky Junk Interiors Savvy Southern Style Tatertots and Jello DIY Show Off Redoux Interiors Between Naps on the Porch The DIY Dreamer Oh My Creative Little Miss Celebration Just a Girl and Her Blog Sand and Sisal Interior Frugalista House on the Way Addicted 2 DIY I should be Mopping the Floor Miss Mustard Seed