Hello lovely friends! Up for a little makeover today?? Always, right? Me too!
Today I am sharing what I did with this very utilitarian looking tool caddy:
I rarely pass on simple caddies/crates/totes, whatever you want to call them, because they can be so charming! This one was anything but, however it was only $5 and I figured swapping out that handle would fix that.
Here is how it looks after a day in my workshop:
Much more charming, don’t you think?
I started by filling in the holes in the plywood with wood filler, and sanding those curved edges smooth. Then I painted the caddy in the leftover paint from my walls. I love this subtle gray/beige. It’s Campfire Ash by Behr.
Actually when I first painted it, I thought it was too light and painted over it with a darker taupe color I had. Then I realized I liked the lighter color better, and painted it back.
It worked out though because when I lightly sanded the surface, some of that darker color came through, which I like. I have included a few affiliate links so you can find the products I use.
I decided to add a stencil to the front. You can find the stencil I used here. I only used part of it…
I used spray adhesive on the back of the stencil to hold it in place, and a small brush to paint in the stencil using chalk paint. I did two coats, brushing away from the edges as much as possible. I also filled in the breaks in the stencil.
After removing the stencil and letting the paint dry, I sanded across it lightly with 220 grit sandpaper to knock it down a bit and make it smooth.
Now normally I would just go rootin through my big ole stash of wood pieces and parts in the garage to find something I could use for a handle, but since my Hubby tossed said stash in the move ( I just can’t let that go, can I??), I had to go on the hunt elsewhere.
I tried the two thrift stores nearest to me to see if I could find a sad chair or table that I could steal a spindle from, but no luck. I did find a gorgeous dressing table for $30 though!
So I finally decided to settle for a wooden dowel since surely it would be better than that metal handle. Home depot had just what I needed but it was almost $5!! No way…$5 for a dowel?! So I decided to dig a bit more and guess what I found? A deck spindle!
And it was only $2! Perfect!
I brought it home, cut it to fit with my miter saw, spray painted it dark brown, then painted it in my DIY chalk paint (recipe HERE) in Ultra Pure White. I lightly sanded it and I used my nail gun to attach it to the caddy.
It makes a great handle!
So much prettier than the metal one it had originally.
Because the ends still showed big holes where the metal handle had been, I needed to either fill them, or find something to cover them. These knobs that came off of my boys’ baby changing table worked perfectly! (See what I did with their changing table HERE.)
I glued them in place with wood glue, and used clamps to hold them in place until they dried. Everything got a coat of MMS wax to seal.
This faux lavender came from Hobby Lobby.
I need to get this house done already so I can get my poor booth filled. I want to keep everything I redo!
So speaking of getting the house done, we started tearing out the flooring in the entry and the dining room. We’re also removing the carpet in my office which is right across from the dining room. That whole area is getting the same hardwood floors that we put in the living room. I’ll be back on Thursday to share how far we’ve gotten, and a snag we’ve run into already!
UPDATE: See how far we got on our floors and what issues we’ve run into already HERE!
And if you haven’t joined us already, we have a fun new Facebook Group made just for thrifty makeover lovers like us:
It’s totally free and filled with nothing but thrifty projects and makeover ideas. There are also opportunities to share your own thrifty makeovers and finds if you like! Visit it HERE and request to join! 🙂
Don’t Miss a Thing!
If you like what you see, there are several ways to follow along!