Well this month’s theme is “Frightful” and perfectly fitting for October. We really like to go all out at my house for Halloween, and the kids in my neighborhood get a huge kick out of it. I knew when I saw this sign at BHG.com a few months ago that I must have one for our display as well!
I went to the Home Depot in search of what I would need to build my sign, and came across this mailbox post for $28:
I knew it would be perfect! It is narrower at the top than the original sign which I needed it to be for the space I wanted to put it.
Here is how my version turned out:
This project started with the mailbox post, which I added a base to with old wood scraps I had hanging around, followed by a sweet new paint job with Rustoleum’s black spray paint in satin:
I’m sure there are several ways I could have made this stand on it’s own, and I really wish I had picked up some angled metal braces to connect the post to the base. I did not want to make another trip to the store, so I was trying to use what I had and it worked fine (and was free!). The angled piece I cut with my miter saw to fit flush against the post and the base, then screwed it in place with wood screws. I also added two wood screws to each side of the post, into the base.
To make the sign, I attached two pieces of wood from my curbside-find pile (that pile has gotten a lot of mileage!) together with an old piece of fencing.
Then I made a template with a piece of paper, traced it onto the top and bottom, and cut it with my awesome cordless RYOBI jig saw:
I white washed it the same way I usually do (see how here). To add the lettering, I busted out the big guns, my silhouette. I truly have a love-hate relationship with that thing. In the time it took me to create my words exactly how I wanted them and get them cut out, I swear I could have transferred the letters like I did here, and painted them in!
After fiddling with it for at least an hour, I finally got my letters cut from the contact paper (works great and cheaper than vinyl), and lined up. I filled in the empty spaces with scrap pieces:
Then I spray-painted it with Rustoleum’s satin black:
I did two coats, then peeled off the vinyl after about 15 minutes.
I gave it a few coats of clear matte acrylic sealer and hung it from the top with galvanized screw-in eye hooks and an S hook…
Not too hard, right?
What do you think of my welcoming committee?
Just before you get to this point is a graveyard…
Here are a couple of my skeleton pals hanging out in the graveyard…
And just past my spooky greeters, you’ll find this gal:
And just a glimpse of how it comes to life at night:
And across from her is this little fella:
And this near my front door:
See how I made that large BEWARE sign including how I enlarged my letters here.
Check out last year’s Outdoor Halloween Tour here:
I’ve still got a few more things to add to this year’s display, but I am really excited about the addition of this sign!
I spent around $38, not too shabby.
Here’s what my Tool Girl Crew came up with for this month:
If you liked this project, you might also like the Halloween wreath I made from this cabinet door:
Don’t Miss a Thing!
If you like what you see, there are several ways to follow along!