Sweet friends, welcome back!
Today I’m sharing project piece #2 from my most recent thrifty haul…this tray that I picked up for $4.25 at the Goodwill:
That design on the bottom was under a really thick layer of acrylic, and I knew I wanted to cover that up. That is exactly what I did!
Here is how it looks now:
I almost always pick up wooden trays when I see them, but I especially loved that this one already had these cute feet. I’ve included a few affiliate links so you can find the products I love.
And the fun is on the inside…
It’s almost reminiscent of a quilt, right?
I don’t know that I was going for that look when I started, but seeing it done and painted really reminds me of this gorgeous tray that my friend, Jen from Girl in the Garage, shared recently! She put a ton of work into hers and I really loved the look. Maybe subliminally I had that in the back of my mind as I was working on this one!
I did go about mine a bit differently though.
I knew I wanted to cover the bottom of the tray, and to do that I found this scrap piece of luan in the garage that was perfect. I save all. the. scraps.
I used my small circular saw to cut it to fit the bottom of the tray:
I just attached a scrap piece of wood to my saw table using clamps to use as a straight edge/guide for my saw. Then I lined up my blade and went for it. See how petite it is? That makes it pretty easy to handle.
Once it was cut, I started playing with a pattern.
I drew an ex from corner to corner, and then a + from top to bottom and side to side. Honestly, it just looked like a square pizza. But then I connected the center lines on each side and that gave me a square in the center, and a pattern I could work with.
I marked each piece so I would know what color to paint it, and I went back and numbered each piece as well so I would know where it went.
Then I used my circular saw once again for the center cut:
I was able to use my sliding miter saw for the rest of the cuts:
I centered the blade on each line. To cut on the angles, I used one of the triangles I had already cut to hold the wood flush to the back of the saw while I cut:
I ended up with 16 triangles in all:
(Two of them were a bit too rough on the edges, so I had to cut two new pieces.)
Once everything was cut, I sanded all the pieces smooth with 220 grit sandpaper, and then spray painted them brown. (That way when I sanded them, brown would show through instead of the natural wood.)
I painted half in Behr’s Bit of Sugar, made into DIY chalk paint (Recipe HERE), as well as the tray itself. I painted the other half in Behr’s Gray Morning (also made into chalk paint) that I still had out from painting this mirror.
(I ended up painting the bottom of the tray white as well.)
I attached the triangles with liquid nails, being sure not to get it too close to the edges so it wouldn’t ooze up between the pieces.
I used this because it’s what my hubby already had in the garage, but I would opt for something white or clear with a bit less odor like Power Grab if I had to buy it.
You can see in that photo where I numbered each piece so I would know where to put it.
I love the finished look!
I originally planned to whitewash the blue parts instead, but since I already had this blue out on my work table, I decided to use it instead.
I do love the white and blue together, and it looks great in my white and blue living room!
These tulips are from Hobby Lobby…
I bought them last year and almost forgot I had them. They make it feel like Spring inside even if the outside says otherwise!
If you liked this makeover, you’ll love this one too:
See how I reimagined this one HERE!
That’s two pieces down, lots more to go! Woohoo!
A couple of ya’ll asked what that piece is on the bottom right. It’s a table I found just like that with the legs tucked inside. Luckily they all went back together okay and I’ll be sharing it on Thursday:
UPDATE: No need to wait! See how this table looks now HERE!
See ya then! Have a great day! 🙂
Don’t Miss a Thing!
If you like what you see, there are several ways to follow along!