Hello beautiful friends and welcome to Trash-to-Treasure Tuesday, my favorite! It is always fun for me when I get to team up with my friends who are also sharing trashy makeovers!! Be sure to keep an eye out for their projects at the bottom!
Today, I am back to my Mother’s Day Haul sharing what I did with this antique serpentine night table:
This poor baby looks like it had lost its drawer front at one time and then the drawer front had suffered some pretty deep damage in the years after. I’ve included a few affiliate links so you can find the products I love.
So, was I able to salvage it?
Not a chance. The edges were too thin and crispy and no amount of Wood Filler or Bondo could save this drawer front.
So I ditched the drawer runners also…
It turns out that the original drawer bottom would be perfect to line the bottom of the cubby instead:
Filling the Holes
I started on the night table by filling as many holes and gouges as I could using Dixie Belle’s Mud in brown:
It apparently once had a door to the bottom cubby as well as these hinges indicate:
I removed those and filled those areas also. I allowed those areas to dry completely and then sanded with my rotary sander using 220 grit sandpaper. I sanded the top enough to smooth out many of the scratches that could not be filled:
There were two holes across the back edge that look like they might have held a decorative trim piece across the back. They did not completely fill on the first go since they were quite deep, so I added a little more Mud and let them dry.
They were nice and smooth after sanding the second time:
Ready for Paint
Once I had the entire piece prepped, cleaned and ready to go, I started painting!
I chose Dixie Belle’s Caviar for this piece for a couple of reasons.
First, I knew the black would hide any imperfections, and I figured it would look better inside both cubbies if they were dark. I waited to add the bottom to that top cubby until after I was finished painting and sealing to make it easier to paint. I gave it two coats.
I sanded all over with 220 grit sandpaper wrapped around an old sanding sponge, hitting the edges a bit harder here and there.
You can sometimes see ghost like marks when touching the surface of black pieces after sealing.
However, you can eliminate that by adding just a couple drops of paint to the Clear Coat:
It really works!
I would reccomend doing that with any of the darker hues.
I attached the new bottom (the old drawer bottom) to that top cubby with some wood glue:
THe end result
She may have lost most of her original defining characteristics, but she still has charm and lots of life left to live!
The interior of that top cubby was a bit primitive, so painting it in black gave it a more sleek appearance.
This is a bedside table, but it is tall and small enough that it would work great in the corner of a bathroom for a little extra storage.
That gold mirror hangs in our dining room and was a $10 thrift store find.
I love the combination of black and gold.
This egg basket was a thrift store score as well. It’s perfect for holding spare TP…
I love how the original wood peeking through the black looks…
I rolled up hand towels here, but that cubby is a great place to store a few books or an iPad…
This one got a very simple makeover, but it totally works for this piece!
Don’t forget, there are four more fantastic makeovers to give you your makeover fix today!
Join me back here next time to see what became of this little thrift store find:
See ya’ll then!
UDATE! Check out how this cutie looks now HERE!
Don’t Miss a Thing!
If you like what you see, there are several ways to follow along!