Hello dear friends, and welcome back! Today, I’m sharing how to add a tufted seat…my subject for today is this sad little table/bench that I originally redid way back in 2013:
I know you were expecting the mirror frame I previewed on Thursday, but we got snow and quite a bit of it for our area:
So instead of working, we played in the snow! And, that project will require my saw which I wasn’t really able to drag out into the snow. I hope to be back with that piece soon though!
I hope you don’t mind this redo that I shared a couple of years ago. It is one I really liked and actually kept!
It’s was a little bold for my current taste, so I decided to give it a redo, but I got as far as sanding the words off, and then it was pushed aside for more fun projects. I eventually added it to one of my hauls to get it done. I’ve included a few affiliate links so you can find the products I love.
I started by covering up the blue paint with Rustoleum satin Espresso spray paint:
I didn’t want the blue to show through when I sanded, and this was before I rediscovered the cheat method using a distressing block. (So much easier!)
Then I painted the legs in two coats of Dixie Belle’s Cotton…
When the legs were dry, I lightly sanded them with 220 grit sandpaper and sealed with Dixie Belle’s Best Dang Wax.
How to add a Tufted seat
I knew I wanted to add a tufted seat to this piece, so to get started, I measured out where I wanted the tufts in my seat to be.
Then I drilled holes with my drill:
Then I marked my holes on the foam as well and used a screwdriver to puncture the holes:
Next, I cut my fabric, including a thin white layer to cover the green foam since my fabric has a white background:
This fabric was originally a pair of curtains I found at HomeGoods for another project. The thin white layer was the liner that came with them. I love hitting up the curtain aisle for decor fabrics! You can see also that my legs unscrewed from the bottom which was super helpful!
For the tufts, I found these clock buttons at Walmart that I painted with a coat of Cotton first…
I usually cover my buttons with fabric and you can see what I use to do that in this post, but I decided to go a different route this time. I lightly sanded these and gave them a coat of spray sealer when they were dry. (You can also hit up the thrift store and look for garments with unique buttons you can use.)
Creating the Tufts
I threaded the wire through the loop at the back of the button and then pulled the ends straight, slightly twisting the ends together like so:
I was able to feel my way to the holes I had created in the foam and poked the wire down through the holes in the fabric, the foam, and then the bench top:
Then I used some buttons I already had to help secure them on the underside of the seat…
I just put my knee on the back and pushed the cushion into the floor a bit while I inserted the wire through the buttons. Then I twisted the wire to secure it.
Applying pressure to the back made it easier to “sink” the button to create the tuft.
When I had all my tufts complete, I used my el cheapo staple gun to secure the fabric to the back:
The bottom was really gross, so I covered that with fabric also. You can see how I cut out some of the bulk off the corners before securing:
Then I cut a small slit in the fabric where the legs screwed in…
It looks so much different now!
When it was put back together, it felt like it needed something more.
I found a stash of old nailheads I had removed from these chairs when I redid them, and they were exactly what this little bench needed!
I used needle-nosed pliers to hold them in place while I tapped them in with a hammer.
And I love how the tufts turned out with those cute buttons!
This is just a small project, but you could use this method for adding a tufted seat to a larger project as well!
Remember this mirror? I used three pieces to create one chunkier frame:
You can see that makeover HERE.
And here’s a peek at the finished underside…
I just love how this little stool turned out, and I actually use it nightly as a footstool!
If you liked how this little bench turned out, you might like this makeover too:
See how this chair turned out HERE!
And here’s our snowman we made…we thought we’d be smart and use this tree topper head for our snowman:
Brennan was super proud, but it looks like a pea on a mountain ha ha! It wouldn’t stay on anyway, so a little later in the day we fixed it, adding a more proportional head:
This head fell off some time in the night, so it’s just a headless snowman. 😀
Thursday is Furniture Fixer Upper Day, so I’ll be back with my creative friends who will also be sharing furniture makeovers!
I’ll be sharing this pretty piece that a sweet neighbor from our old neighborhood passed along to me:
Then hopefully, I’ll get the mirror frame completed over the weekend to share next week!
UPDATE! See how this sweet piece turned out HERE now!
Hope to see y’all Thursday!
Don’t Miss a Thing!
If you like what you see, there are several ways to follow along!