Hello lovelies, and welcome to Trash-to-Treasure Tuesday!! You know this is one of my favorite days of the month! Not only do I get to share a thrifty makeover (My favorite!!), I get to do it with four other amazing ladies! Be sure to look for their makeovers at the bottom of this post!
You’ve heard me talk many times about my stash which once resided in the garage, but you’ve never heard me mention anything about our storage unit. It mostly held boxes of sentimental stuff, seasonal decorations, and my hubby’s football gear. However I did manage to stash a few pieces of furniture in there.
As soon as my hubby unloaded this baby, I knew I had my project for today:
I bought this chair at a thrift store that isn’t even in business anymore at least three years ago for $35. I loved the details of it and knew some new fabric would make this chair shine again.
And I was right:
I was in need of a chair for my living room and this one worked out perfectly!
I always take my sweet time getting to the upholstered pieces, but some of them aren’t too bad at all to redo. I have included a few affiliate links so you can find the products I use.
I just needed to remove those panels on the sides and the panel that went across the back, and I was ready to get started.
This was two coats. After it was dry, I sanded here and there to highlight some of the details. (No topcoat required!)
Not all upholstery projects are created equal, but I took pics along the way just in case anyone has a similar chair to tackle.
First let me share what I used to cover this chair:
Yup. Drapery panels from HomeGoods! For $29.99 I got plenty of fabric to cover this chair! Isn’t it so pretty? 🙂
Here is how the upholstery came together…
- I quickly realized that the pretty white background on my fabric became very dull when I laid it on top of the original upholstery. I decided to use the liner from the drapery panels to cover the chair first so the background would be white. (That also gave me a chance to practice upholstering it!) Hopefully you can just skip to the fabric!
- This picture is just to show that I used a butter knife to get the fabric into those tight spots.
- I cut the fabric to fit the back first, making sure my pattern was even and centered.
- Then I stapled the fabric to the top of the back with my el cheapo staple gun.
- I folded the sides of the top over and secured them in the crevice using my butter knife and hot glue:
I used hot glue to secure the bottom of the front piece in the crevice between the top and bottom. Then I cut a piece for the bottom, making sure it would reach down both sides. I also secured that in the same way in the crevice. (How many times can I use the word “crevice”??)
- I pulled the fabric down over the front and stapled it in place all along the front.
- To work around the arms, I cut the fabric as pictured, then folded it under and wrapped it down around the arms.
- I secured the sides all along the edges with staples. (I pleated the front corner just the same as the original fabric had been pleated.)
- Using sharp scissors. I trimmed any excess fabric.
- To cover the staples I made double welt trim. (Find my tutorial for that HERE. If you can sew a straight line, you can totally do this!)
- I added the welting using my hot glue gun. (Did you know Ryobi makes a cordless hot glue gun?? I just found out recently and had to have one! Find it HERE.)
- I covered the side panels in fabric also, securing with hot glue. Then I made piping (tutorial HERE) to add around the edges like the original chair had. I just hot glued those back in place. I also covered the back panel and was able to nail that back in place with the original nails that were still attached.
And that’s it!
Upholstery projects can be intimidating, but take your cues from the original upholstery.
Take pictures as you remove pieces so you can see how it came together
This is the opposite corner in my living room and this is where this chair will stay.
This didn’t look super trashy before, but the finish on this before was pretty gross up close:
Nothing a little paint couldn’t fix though…
I just love this fabric! Too bad they didn’t have enough in the right size for my windows!
For $35 plus the drapery panels, this only cost me $65. You just can’t beat that.
My living room is really coming together now. I still need something to fill one wall, a coffee table solution, and window treatments. Then it will be done!
Don’t go anywhere yet! My friends have trash-to-treasure makeovers to share too!
Click the links below the image to see the afters!
I mentioned this the other day…there is a brand new Facebook Group made just for thrifty makeover lovers like us:
It’s totally free and it is seriously filled with nothing but thrifty makeover goodness. There are also opportunities to share your own thrifty makeovers and finds if you like! Visit it HERE to join us. 🙂
If you missed any of my new house adventures so far, you can catch up here:
I’ll be back on Thursday with my wainscoting tutorial since so many of y’all were interested in seeing how that went up.
UPDATE: It’s done…check out the wainscoting how-to HERE now!
Don’t Miss a Thing!
If you like what you see, there are several ways to follow along!