Hello lovelies! I am so excited because I have a makeover today that was actually on its way to the trash!
My friends are also sharing trashy makeovers of their own, so be on the lookout for their makeovers at the bottom!
This lovely wall cabinet was the perfect candidate for today’s makeover:
This once hung on the wall in my sister’s bathroom above their toilet, and she was just going to toss it but asked me if I wanted it. Of course I did! I’ve included a few affiliate links so you can find the products I love.
These are my favorite projects because you can really only go up from here, right?
I had it sitting in the garage upside down:
Do you see what I see? I thought it could be cute as a small floor cabinet if only it had feet on the bottom?
So, I set out to find a set of feet that would work and I found these on Amazon:
Funny thing…when I saw the listing for these, one of the photos in the listing was a collage of my own photos from this desk post where I used similar feet! Hmmm I feel like I shoulda got these for free at least, right?
Anyway, they were the perfect size for this cabinet!
Adding feet to the cabinet
You’ll need dowel screws to attach the new feet, and luckily, I had some on hand.
To attach these feet to the cabinet, I had to first drill a hole in the the top of the feet (just a tad smaller than the screws) with my drill, so that I could more easily insert the screws:
Then I used pliers to grip the screws as I twisted them into the holes:
I kept going until I had all of them about halfway in…
Then I needed to prep the new bottom of the cabinet so I could attach the new feet.
Then I pre-drilled holes for the feet and screwed them in place, adding a bit of wood glue for extra hold:
I knew the feet would not sit flush yet, so I found a scrap of poplar that I had on hand and cut into smaller pieces so that I could tuck them under the fee to better support them. I wood glued them in place also.
It isn’t pretty, but it does the job!
The next thing I did was fill in any holes and fill in where the knots in the pine had gaps using Dixie Mud:
Next, I decided to go ahead and give it a coat of BOSS in White to cover those knots since they tend to bleed through over time. I’ve never tried BOSS for pine knots before, but if it works as well as it does on traditional bleed-through, it should work here too!
Then I gave it two coats of Cotton on top of that. When it was completely dry, I sanded all over with 220 grit sandpaper to smooth out the finish and distress a little here and there.
The final step was to add a little something to the doors!
Adding more detail with a transfer
I went through my stash of transfers before starting this project and came across this Gingham Black transfer that I love and knew it was what I wanted to use!
Here is this wall cabinet repurposed as a free-standing floor cabinet!
Super cute, right?? And those feet are just right!
It is the perfect size for any small space to add a little extra storage, but especially a bathroom!
The gingham adds a touch of charm to this piece, but it is still neutral enough to fit with just about any color scheme.
And these handles are one of my favorites from Hobby Lobby. Y’all see me use them all the time!
While the outside remains quite neutral, I decided to have fun with the inside…
With a pop of color! This is Pure Ocean and it is a true, deep turquoise.
Rehabbing things that were destined for the trash is my absolute favorite!
I hope you enjoyed it too!
Don’t forget to check out what my talented friends have for you as well!
Meet me back here next for the makeover of this headboard that has been in my stash for longer than any other piece!
UPDATE: See what I finally did with this headboard HERE now!
Don’t Miss a Thing!
If you like what you see, there are several ways to follow along!