Happy Tuesday, beautiful Friends! Thanks to everyone who entered the Craft Junk Giveaway! I wish everyone could win, but there can only be one winner. Congratulations to Michelle from Albuquerque, NM. (She has already been notified.) Don’t worry if you didn’t win this time, I’ll be back in August with another box of goodies, and again in November!
I have a pretty little makeover to share with ya’ll today.
I picked up this shelf at the thrift store a while back for $1.98:
I have seen several of these since, but none for as cheap as I scored this one.
I decided to keep with the idea of mug hooks, but changed them out, and added a back to mine:
Cute, right?? It’s amazing what paint and some graphics can do for a simple thrift store find. I’ve included a few affiliate links so you can find the products I use.
I decided it needed a back, so I originally went searching my garage for bead board, but I didn’t have a piece that was wide enough. I had some hardboard I had left from making chalkboards, so I cut that to fit with my table saw…
Then I removed the brackets from the shelf and gave them a coat of black spray paint. I followed up with a little petroleum jelly here and there, and also added some to these hooks I found at Hobby Lobby (HERE on Amazon):
Then I sprayed them all with white primer first, then white satin spray paint:
I probably didn’t need to prime first since I was spraying over paint…habit I guess.
When they were dry, I wiped the areas with petroleum jelly with a soft cloth to remove the white paint…
Kind of looks like the paint peeled off in those areas.
Then I painted the rest of the shelf parts with Dixie Belle Chalk Paint in Fluff. I decided to add the numbers using black acrylic craft paint and my silhouette machine ( I have this one.)to fill in that big blank space:
If you don’t have a silhouette, no worries…add them the old school way seen HERE. This is the French Script font.
You could use house numbers you can find at the hardware store instead of painting them, for a little added dimension.
These ironstone pieces are all thrift store finds as well…
Everything was sealed with Miss Mustard Seed’s Furniture wax. I’m giving that a try for a change, and I like it so far. It has the consistency of body butter and goes on really smoothly.
What started out to be a simple white paint job became just a bit more unique and fun with addition of the numbers.
I’ll be back on Thursday with my Furniture Fixer Upper girls sharing how I changed up this armoire:
This was not an easy one, and it may have involved some choice words. 😉
UPDATE: See the armoire drama HERE now!
Don’t Miss a Thing!
If you like what you see, there are several ways to follow along!