Hello beautiful people. 🙂 Can I tell you how thankful I am that you joined me in this fun series? I knew it would be a challenge to share a makeover every single day of March, but it was so worth it. I loved meeting you guys here every day to connect over thrifty goodness! I know many of you reached out to let me know that you have been inspired. Inspired to paint, inspired to tackle projects that have been put on hold, inspired to see past the dated, dusty, plain old ugly pieces to imagine the possibilities that could be. Thank you so much for all your kind words and support. You guys are the best and the reason I love to create and share!
On to our final thrifty makeover of this awesome March Madness series…project #31!!
You know I can never pass up a good frame. The same goes for mirrors. Here is a thrift store picture, complete with broken glass that I got for $3, and a mirror I found for about the same price.
They both have pretty, detailed frames. Here’s what you get when you put them together:
Recognize that fabric? It’s left over curtain panel from when I reupholstered these chairs!
Making this is pretty simple to do.
I started by painting my frames in my DIY chalk paint, using Cottage White by Behr, no sanding with chalk paint required:
I sanded a bit and waxed when the paint was dry. You could also use spray paint if you like, but I like the softness of the chalk paint.
I cut a piece of hardboard to fit (the same thing I use to make chalk boards), found this left over curtain panel, and plugged up my glue gun…
I cut the fabric an inch or so bigger and wrapped the hardboard in the fabric:
I used hot glue to secure it in place. Then I inserted it into the larger frame, securing with small nails like so:
It’s looking pretty already!
I inserted the mirror back into the frame, securing it in place the same way. Then I hot glued the mirror to the center of the fabric panel…
This is just to hold it in place while it’s flipped over. The last step is to flip it over and secure it in place more permanently with small screws. I put one in each corner:
I kept the original hanging hardware in place.
Pretty simple! I’m keeping this one, but if I were selling it, I would cover the back in brown craft paper to make it pretty on the back as well.
You could make a fabric framed mirror to match any décor!
This isn’t the first one I’ve made, here is another one I made similarly a couple of years ago using burlap:
Allrighty my sweet friends, this concludes March Madness! I’ve got a ceiling project that’s not nearly as fun as making over thrifty treasures, but it’s calling my name. So that’s where I’ll be for the next few days, but I’ll be back soon enough sharing more good things. 🙂
If you missed any of this month’s makeovers, you can see them all here:
If you like what you see, there are several ways to follow along!