How do you like my new mirror?
Bold, right? I like that it makes a BIG impact. If I’d have seen this at Home Goods, this would have gone straight into my cart. That above pic is from my most recent Summer Home Tour.
Here is my original after shot ha ha:
Those pics have come a long way, but at least you know that several things have come and gone, but this mirror has stayed put!
It was so simple to make. It’s actually a smaller mirror mounted onto plywood that’s framed out.
The title of this post should have been, “From Epic Fail to Awesome”. This project started with a plan to use the mirror below that was removed from the boys’ bathroom last summer, to create a beautiful new mirror for my living room.
I was going to attach it to a piece of plywood, frame it out, and add crossbars to simulate a large window. I had all my supplies set, my plywood cut, and my frame constructed.
I was in the process of attaching the mirror to the plywood with mirror adhesive. As I was pressing down to make sure it was adhering nicely, if you think you know what happened next…you are probably right! The mirror cracked!! Oh no!! My beautiful mirror! My heart sank. What was I supposed to do with the frame now? The plywood?
It wasn’t too long before my wheels started turning.
I really wanted a mirror for that wall that would reflect all the light that comes into the dining room. I already had this mirror from my previous house, but it never really found a home.
It was too small to carry the space where I wanted to add a mirror.
I spray painted the frame black and this is what I came up with. (While watching The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills. Don’t judge, I swear I do not watch TV hardly at all, but I’m drawn to these shows like a moth to a flame!)
I thought that if I painted a cool design on the plywood, which had already been painted black, I could hang the smaller mirror on that to create one very large AWESOME mirror!
I decided to start painting my design right then during RHOBH, so my design is not super creative. I kept it simple, but its still pretty cool.
Here it is ready for the trim…
Then I sanded the ivory areas and gave it a coat of clear wax to bring out the depth of the black. I normally would have sealed it with spray acrylic sealer, but I didn’t want to carry this big ole thing back out to the driveway. (It was cold!)
I attached the frame from the back using small screws. I also attached mounting hardware for hanging. Here it is before I attached the mirror.
I admit I was a bit scared. This is VERY bold…
But the mirror calmed it right down.
I love that it is bold, but provides a neutral backdrop for any season. Here it is at Christmas…
I hung the mirror on the plywood like you would hang it on the wall. Then I used a wee bit of industrial strength velcro on the bottom corners to hold it flush to the background.
See bold, but still neutral…
The total cost was less than $20 since I already had the mirror.
This may have not been my original plan, but I am so happy with how it turned out!
That’s my epic fail to awesome mirror story and I’m stickin to it!
Don’t Miss a Thing!
If you like what you see, there are several ways to follow along!