Hello sweet friends!! Today, I’m sharing a super boring mirror that I turned into an antiqued Christmas mirror!
I had absolutely no idea where this project was going when I started!
Today’s antiqued mirror project came from the mirror and harp that originally belonged to this dresser.
I redid the dresser, but this mirror that came with it was way too top-heavy for the dresser:
Well, I repurposed the harp and was left with this very uninspiring mirror:
Even worse, when I removed the backing, it was growing something in there:
Like I mentioned, I had no idea where this was going, so I felt like I really couldn’t hurt it no matter what I did.
I’ve included a few affiliate links so you can find the products I love.
Then I gave the frame a coat of white BOSS to prevent any bleed through as these antique pieces like to do:
I left that to dry and moved on to the mirror.
Antiquing the Mirror
The mirror had some imperfections in it, so I thought this was a great candidate for an antiqued look.
My amazingly talented friend, Denise from Salvaged Inspirations, had shared a gorgeous antiqued mirror redo a while back, and so I decided to follow her tutorial for mine.
See her gorgeous mirror and all the steps she took to create the antiqued look HERE.
It started with Citristrip which I applied and then covered with saran wrap and let it sit for about 30 minutes:
This is suppose to allow the gray paint on the back to be removed without damaging the mirror beneath.
Unfortunately, it wasn’t quite ready, and I scraped off too much, taking it down to the clear glass…oops!
I covered it back up and let it sit for another 30 minutes or so, and then it scraped away without issue.
I then followed with the second step of her technique (see that at her link above) which went better, but in the end, I had removed too much of the original mirror ie, I really buggered it up ha ha.
A quick Fix
To fill it back in, I reached for my Mirror Effect spray and sprayed the back of the mirror:
Remember when I said I couldn’t hurt it? Turns out, I could! Who knew??
Adding a stencil
Next, I wanted to add a stencil to the front, and I was torn on whether or not to add a Christmas one. It came down to these two:
I really loved the Christmas one, but I decided to go for something that might sell more easily, the damask one.
Except, it wasn’t so amazing here. It was a FAIL!
You could hardly see the damask print with how busy the mirror was:
I really did a number on that mirror, didn’t I??
But, I will not be deterred!
I used a razor blade to scrape away the faux etching…
And then I tried again, this time going for the Christmas one I really wanted to use in the first place!
And instead of reaching for the frosted glass spray, I found this gorgeous Colonial Red in my stash:
(I sprayed spray adhesive to the back to hold it firmly in place while spraying.)
It is officially now an antiqued Christmas mirror!
To secure the mirror back into the frame, I added a piece of cardboard to protect the back of the mirror and used my Logan Point Driver to hold it in place:
Was I able to save it??
This thing was a total hot mess!
But you know what?
I kind of love how it turned out!
As you can see, I also added the detailed piece across the top…
That was my reason for faux distressing the whole frame. It was originally raw wood and I wanted to really shabby it up.
That piece was also free…my MIL gave me a bag with several unfinished decorative wood pieces that she no longer had a use for. This one was so pretty!
And you can see I also added hooks like I like to do with mirrors…
Perfect for dangling pretty ornaments from!
But do you know what this Christmas mirror would be even better suited for?
Hanging stockings!! Right? Maybe an alternative if you don’t have a fireplace!
I don’t usually go for a super distressed look, but I think this works!
What do you think??
Before I close, I have some shop news!
- Dixie Belle has released 12 brand new transfers!!
I placed my order as soon as I could and should have them in stock this week!
- Dixie Belle will be increasing their prices effective January 1st. The cost of just about everything has gone up, so the following items will increase by one dollar: Chalk Mineral Paint, Best Dang Wax, BOSS, No Pain Gel Stain, Gator Hide, and brushes.
I’ll be waiting until the last possible minute to update my prices in my ETSY SHOP, so get what you need now if you want to save a bit!
- And lastly, many of y’all have reached out to me about Gator Hide. It has been out of stock for some time now. The raw materials used to make it have been sitting in shipping containers off the coast for months now. DB is in the process of reformulating Gator Hide using materials they can source closer to home. Testing is taking time as they make sure it does what they promise it will, but hopefully, it will be back again soon! Meanwhile, the Clear Coat is still an excellent sealer. If you have an item that does require a water repellant sealer, you can always use the Clear Coat for now, and then add the Gator Hide when it is available again.
And that’s all the shop news for now!
I hope y’all enjoyed today’s mirror makeover!
There may have been a lot of bumps in the road, but it sure was fun to play with!
And that is one project closer to completing this FREE haul!! (I call this one free since the three projects I got out of that one purchase have already sold woohoo!)
See any you may have missed so far at the links below:
And if you forgot or missed how I repurposed the rest of this mirror:
You can see that HERE!
I’ll see y’all back here on Thursday sharing what I did with this little stool:
Update: No need to wait! See how this stool looks now here!
See y’all then!
Don’t Miss a Thing!
If you like what you see, there are several ways to follow along!