Hello amazing friends! I was SO hoping to share our big kitchen reveal today. I got all my photos taken and edited yesterday, and then I sat down to write my post, and NO internet connection!
Several neighbors have been complaining about our Internet provider and losing their service over the past week or so, but it hadn’t affected us…until now. Terrible timing! Grrrr!
I couldn’t leave y’all hanging today, so thanks to my cell phone, I was able to pull an old favorite from my archives to share.
This isn’t the big reveal ya’ll we’re hoping for, but I do hope you’ll enjoy this makeover. It was a fun piece to work on!
I had stopped by the thrift store closest to my house one morning and came across this china cabinet:
I needed some pieces to fill my empty booth and immediately loved the large glass door panels, but I knew it would be a bleeder which can be a pain to paint so I passed on it.
Fast forward a week or so and guess what was still there? AND all furniture was 20% off, so for $80 I brought it home!
Just as I suspected, I did have issues with bleed-through, but the end result was worth the trouble I think…
I knew I loved those big glass doors! I have included a few affiliate links so you can find the products I use.
I staged it for a bathroom…I would LOVE to have this in my bathroom!
I started by taping off and covering the glass panels in the doors since I was unable to remove them.
Then I gave the entire piece inside and out two coats of Zinsser spray shellac to seal in the stain, in hopes of preventing bleed-through. (Wait at least an hour before painting.) Then I decided to spray-prime with Zinsser bullseye spray primer as well since I had plans to paint the piece white.
For the most part, this did the trick, but I still had a couple of stubborn areas that were bleeding through like the trim pieces on the lower cabinet doors. I used another clear matte sealer I had on hand over those areas to try to tame the bleeding, and that did the trick. (If you ever get those stubborn spots, waxing those areas will work too.)
Then I spray painted the inside of the top of the cabinet and shelves with Rustoleum in Robin’s Egg, one of my favorites.
I lightly sanded with 220 grit sand paper and sealed with Annie Sloan’s clear soft wax.
I decided to use a few different styles for the hardware.
I started with this pretty knob from Hobby Lobby for the glass door, and it comes just like this:
Then for the drawer I decided to switch out the original hardware for these ones, also from Hobby Lobby:
They were originally an antique brass color, but I wanted them to match the door knob. I spray painted them with black spray paint, then added a little Vaseline here and there before painting them white. The white paint came right off with a soft cloth in the places where I added Vaseline. Now they match!
I did the same with the new pulls for the bottom cabinet, which surprise…also came from Hobby Lobby:
Choosing the cabinet hardware is probably my favorite part! Hobby Lobby has such a nice selection and they are 50% off every other week. 🙂
These pieces add a little more charm to this cabinet.
This china cabinet went through a big change, just like our kitchen! I will definitely be back to share the big reveal on Tuesday! Crossing fingers and toes that we get our internet issues fixed!
UPDATE: Our big kitchen reveal is live! See it HERE now! 😀
Have a great weekend!
Don’t Miss a Thing!
If you like what you see, there are several ways to follow along!