Who’s ready for another round of smalls?? Smalls are the smaller items I spy at the thrift store that on their own, don’t make for a very compelling blog post as they are usually very simple makeovers. However, when I group several together, they are fun to see! Awesome friends, I have six such mini makeovers to share today!
First, here is what these lovelies looked like before:
I’ve included a few affiliate links so you can find the products I love.
Let’s start with this clock that I paid $8 for:
I think this piece is from Hobby Lobby originally. It was over-priced in my opinion at $8, especially in this yellowed condition. Or perhaps, that is how it came? It just looks dirty to me!
I tried to remove the clock and the glass to paint it, but the glass was glued in place, so I taped it off instead and then gave it two coats of Cotton.
I removed the tape as soon as I applied the second coat, while the paint was still wet:
I don’t have this mould in my shop, but I have several HERE.
These are so easy to use! You just mix equal parts from the two bottles and add it to the flexible mould. Allow it to setup for about 10 minutes or so and then peel it from the mould. I made a set of four to add to each corner of this clock.
I wanted to shabby it up a bit, but because the color was originally a yellowish color and I didn’t want that to show through, I chose not to sand to highlight those details.
Read more about how I use it HERE.
Now it looks like the darker color is peeking through!
The new detailed pieces were glued in place with E6000 glue.
I love how the resin pieces added a pretty detail to the corners!
Up next is this metal piece I picked up for $6.25:
I knew it would paint up pretty!
I gave it a quick coat of spray primer first just to get a quick coat on it:
Now, you could follow up with spray paint, but the finish of spray paint on metal is very flat. I much prefer my final coat to be chalk paint because it has more texture.
I brushed on Dixie Belle’s Cotton:
I decided this piece did not need any sealer, so I attached one of these small wreaths I found on Amazon, and this mini makeover was complete:
The faux distressing looks great on all these details!
Next up is this little wooden box I picked up for only $2.25:
It actually has a plastic liner which means it was likely part of a canister set at one time.
The paper on it was almost dry rotted, so it scraped right off with a flat razor blade. I knew when I found it that a mini transfer would dress it right up! (From Classic Vintage Labels by Re-designed by Prima…find them HERE in my shop.
I gave it a couple of coats of Cotton, gave it a good sanding with 220 grit sandpaper, and then picked out this pretty transfer to adorn the front:
Because of the liner, it could hold just about anything…
I think it would be perfect on a vanity holding cotton balls or makeup sponges.
It’s hard to tell it was once part of a dated canister set now!
Our next makeover is this gorgeous and very detailed frame I picked up for $4.25:
Anticipating this one to be a bleeder, I started with a coat of White BOSS:
I wanted areas of white to show. Then, I sanded all over with 220 grit sandpaper to get a distressed/weathered finish.
And as you can see, I turned it into a mini chalkboard!
I thought the deep, detailed trim was a great place for the chalk!
You can see more on how I make my chalkboards HERE.
This next piece was photographed with my haul here:
It’s in the basket in the front in that photo, but I forgot to include it in my big collage of all the pieces…oopsie.
Here it is anyway:
I paid $4.25 for it and it was actually cute as is, but of course, I paint everything!
The paint just softened it up a bit. (You can see that Fluff is still white, but just a bit more subdued.)
I gave it a good sanding all over with 220 grit sandpaper and then sealed with Best Dang Wax in white. I like how it sits in all the rough crevices on this piece:
This is likely meant to hold mail, but it would be a sweet way to organize note cards, stamps, etc. also!
And finally, this basket was the best deal of them all at only $1:
I found this at a yard sale last year. It looks like it was one of those inexpensive baskets you get with a cheese and Summer sausage gift basket, but it is quite sturdy.
You may have seen it in one of the photos above…here it is again:
I gave it a coat of spray primer first. Priming is not necessary under chalk paint; this was just to get a quick coat on it.
Then I followed up with a coat of Cotton:
I decided not to distress this one. I sealed just the inside with Gator Hide since it might take a little abuse depending on what it is eventually used for.
It makes for a really cute basket for guest towels!
That “5” came off of a 2015 New year’s banner I found at the thrift store for 45¢ a couple years back. I’ve used two of the other numbers on baskets as well.
I love the contrast of the black and white. I attached it with craft wire. (You can see how I did that on a similar basket HERE.)
And that’s six more smalls! I love sharing these in this way because it helps me get several smalls done for my booth quickly!
And I get to cross a bunch more off my list!!
Revisit any you’d like to see again, or see any you may have missed at the links below:
Painting the Smalls, Holiday Edition (Five of these pieces are in this post!)
I’ll be back on Thursday with my Furniture Fixer Upper girls!
This piece I’m sharing is from my next haul. I didn’t have any exciting furniture options left in my current haul, and I was really excited to play with this one:
I got this for an absolute steal! Come back on Thursday to hear all about it!
UPDATE: It’s done and you can see it HERE right now!!
Don’t Miss a Thing!
If you like what you see, there are several ways to follow along!