Hey there amazing friends, and welcome back!
I’m here today sharing another piece from my latest thrifting day, this beautiful mirror:
Now this was not on deep discount like the previous two pieces I shared from this haul, but at $25, it was still worth it. It was in perfect condition and didn’t need to be made over at all. But you know me…I just can’t help myself.
Plus I knew it would sell more easily with a fresh new paint job:
It matches beautifully with my storage piece I painted for my office last year.
It’s a tad big for this piece, but this was the best way I could find to style it for the photos. This mamma jamma is heavy! I’ve included a few affiliate links so you can find the products I use. Read my full disclosure here.
When painting mirrors, I always try to remove the back and take out the mirror if possible. It is worth the trouble in my opinion to get a perfect paint job.
This mirror backing was held in place with these nails:
I was able to pry them up pretty easily with a strong putty knife…
(Working in my slippers. 🙂 )
Then there were these small wooden pieces wedged in all around the mirror to hold it firmly in place. I was able to pry them up with a screwdriver. And looky there…this mirror was born the same year as my sweet Mama!
Once I got the backing off and the mirror safely removed, I painted the frame in Annie Sloan’s French Linen that I had added white to a while back:
This is about two parts ASCP in French Linen and one part Bit of Sugar by Behr. I painted all but the carved piece at the top. That was painted in Behr’s Bit of Sugar made into DIY chalk paint. (Recipe HERE.)
I was at the absolute bottom of the can here…
This is one of those colors that I continue to buy the Annie Sloan version of since I love it so much.
Don’t forget to paint the groove on the back that will reflect in the mirror!
That is the main reason that removing the mirror is so worth the effort.
I sanded lightly all over and sealed with Dixie Belle Satin Clear Coat. I made the mistake of sealing the white carved piece on the top when it was lying flat, and I was a bit too liberal with it. The sealer settled in the grooves and turned yellow! I ended up having to repaint that piece and then sealed it again while the mirror was standing upright, being much more careful to not overdo it the second time.
I added the same pieces to secure it right back and then put the old backing on, and I used the same vintage nails to secure the back. I reuse as much of that stuff as possible when I can!
This storage piece has been such a great way to store my fabrics, notions, and photo props. It started out like this if you missed it:
You can revisit this makeover HERE.
I also made this simple cover for this small sofa in my office that you see poking into a couple of the photos:
My Mother-in-Law passed this on to my Hubby before we were married, but it was yellow. It is the most comfortable sofa ever and I loved the shape of it, so I was determined to make it work and claimed it for myself to use in my office. You can visit this slipcover tutorial and see the before HERE.
I hope no one is too upset that I painted this lovely mirror, but that is what I do, ya’ll!
This is the biggest mirror I have ever painted:
It was an amazing yard sale deal! See how it turned out HERE!
That’s another project crossed off!
I’ll see ya’ll back here on Tuesday with one of these drawers I started on:
UPDATE: See what this drawer is up to now HERE!
Have a great weekend!
Don’t Miss a Thing!
If you like what you see, there are several ways to follow along!