Can you believe we are on our 25th thrifty makeover this month? If you missed any of my March Madness makeovers, I end each post with all the links at the bottom.
Are you ready for a sweet makeover? I picked up this doll cradle at a yard sale for $2 two Summers ago, and its been sitting in my garage ever since!
Its very well made and not bad as is, but I thought it could use a touch of what I’m calling shabby sweet:
Isn’t it sweet?
I have boys, so I never went through the doll phase with my kids.
The cradle was painted with a coat of spray primer first, then two coats of Rustoleum’s Blossom White spray paint. I usually prefer chalk paint, but for a simple small project like this, the spray paint worked great. I sanded the edges like I usually do to shabby it up just a tiny bit.
How about those super sweet bed linens?
They also started out as thrifty finds!
I found the shower curtain at a yard sale not long after I found the cradle, and thought it would make a great quilt. The sheet was a thrift store find a couple of months later. I originally planned to redo the cradles (I have one more) for my last show, the Christmas Market in 2013, but never got around to them.
For the “mattress” I used a really flat feather pillow form that was always more flat than I liked…perfect for a doll cradle mattress!
Ever wonder what a feather pillow looks like inside?
There you have it. I cut it in half and tried not to send feathers flying all over the place!
I sewed it up one side and then made a cover for it with the sheet.
I made it like an envelope pillow cover so it can be removed for washing.
Pretty cushy, right?
I made the quilt from the shower curtain, as well as the pillow.
I want to crawl in there myself and be rocked to sleep. Wouldn’t it be great to have an adult sized cradle that rocked?? Then again it might make me motion sick!
It looked too plain without something on the end, so I decided to give this new stencil I just bought a try. I always hand paint my graphics so this is new territory for me.
This was part of a larger stencil:
I used spray adhesive to adhere to the end of the cradle and used a small paintbrush to paint the graphic in. I’m not a fan of the stippled look you get with a stencil brush or dauber.
When I removed the stencil, it wasn’t perfect, but not bad at all.
I took my liner brush and some black acrylic paint and went around the edges to smooth everything out. I had already started on a few of the leaves on the bottom.
I gave it a light sanding when it was thoroughly dry, and sealed it with clear soft wax.
This was so much quicker than hand-painting in the entire graphic like I usually do! I bought this and two others from Artistic Stencil Designs. This one was $14.
The teddy is mine that I’ve had for as long as I can remember. He’s the best I’ve got to help model this sweet makeover…
Unless you think Woody is doing a better job?
He and Batman were fighting it out and Woody won. Who knew Woody could beat Batman?
If you missed any posts in this fun March Madness series, you can catch up here:
Here are this week’s thrifty redo’s so far:
See you tomorrow!
If you like what you see, there are several ways to follow along!
I love to share at some of these great parties:
Home Stories A to Z Not Just a Housewife Kammy’s Korner The Happy Housie Design Dining and Diapers Liz Marie Blog Funky Junk Interiors Savvy Southern Style Tatertots and Jello DIY Show Off Redoux Interiors Between Naps on the Porch The DIY Dreamer Oh My Creative Little Miss Celebration Just a Girl and Her Blog Sand and Sisal Interior Frugalista House on the Way Addicted 2 DIY I should be Mopping the Floor Shabby Art Boutique Miss Mustard Seed