Hello beautiful friends!! Before I get to today’s makeover, I wanted to announce the winners of my Spring Dixie Belle Giveaway. Congratulations to Cheryl, Theresa, and Kristy! They have each been notified and have actually already spent their loot! Thank you so much to everyone who entered! I’ll have another giveaway in the future, so if you didn’t win, there will always be more chances!
On to today’s makeover!
At the same barn sale where I found the mirror harp I turned into a shelf on Tuesday, I spied this set of lamps:
They were dirty, dusty, and covered in cobwebs, but one of them actually still had the original price tag on it. When I asked how much for the pair, I was told $10 for both…SOLD!
They needed a good cleaning and I took care of that with White Lightning at the same time as I was cleaning the mirror harp from Tuesday’s makeover.
I’ve included a few affiliate links so you can find the products I love.
Primer isn’t a necessary step, just a way to get quick coverage!
I followed up with one coat of Cotton that I brushed on.
Adding Decoupage Paper
This is my favorite of all the decoupage papers Dixie Belle has recently come out with. You can see all the prints I have HERE.
I started by cutting my paper to the size I needed using my rotary cutting set to help keep the lines perfectly straight:
I cut the paper just a hair wider so that it just barely overlapped at the back.
To apply it, I just brushed on Clear Coat in Satin:
Then I applied the paper to the lamp and added another coat of Clear Coat in Satin over the top:
I sanded a little here and there all over to bring out some of the details on the rest of the lamps and sealed with clear wax. The Clear Coat can pool in all those crevices, so I opted for the wax this time.
Painting the shades
The shades were origianlly an olive green, and while I do like olive green, it’s not a big seller for me. Plus, I knew I wanted to use this pretty paper on these lamps and the olive green just wouldn’t do. However, we are amidst a gas crisis at the moment, and everyone is sold out of gas in my area, so I wasn’t looking to hit the road in search of shades that would work better.
But what I did have on hand from when I painted the mats on the art in my boys’ bathroom, was a can of Midnight Blue spray paint. Hmmm…I decided to give it a go!
I sprayed both the outside and the inside:
It was worth a try, right?
Here’s how this set of dirty, dusty, cobweb-covered buffet lamps turned out:
And the shades?
Not too bad for a quick fix!
If I were to try this again, I would choose flat paint as it is shiny in areas, but the lamps have a texture already and that could be attributed to that. Of course, painting these shades dark limits the amount of light these might put out, but for a something like a sideboard where they are more for looks anyway, it is a great fix!
And how about that paper?? I just love it!
Let’s zoom in a bit…
This paper dries so nicely! It looks like it was always part of this lamp!
This was a fun makeover to work on! I hope ya’ll enjoyed it too!
Project number two complete!
I’ve got another idea for transforming a set of buffet lamps!
See how this set turned out HERE!
Tiling demo in the kitchen is supposed to begin on Monday, so I thought that would be a good time to share our front yard updates!
Here’s a grim reminder of what our front originally looked like when we bought our house:
UPDATE: See how it looks now HERE!!
Have an amazing weekend, dear friends, and I’ll meet ya’ll back here on Tuesday!!
Don’t Miss a Thing!
If you like what you see, there are several ways to follow along!