Hello beautiful Friends! Thank you so much for all the well-wishes on our new home last week! We are in full-on packing mode around here since we close on our new house on Friday!! I can’t believe it’s almost here already. We won’t actually move until the following Friday, but I plan to be very busy next week at the new house, so I have been packing my little heart out. Please tell me I’m not the only one that has packed boxes of absolute crap because I just didn’t have it in me to go through it all??
Needless to say I am pulling out an old favorite today. I am sharing a dresser I redid two Summers ago.
I came back from a 4th of July getaway with my hubby and the boys and walked into my booth that looked like this:
I had looked more like this before I left:
See more of my booth space HERE. Several pieces including that large white hutch had sold.
I needed to find a couple of big pieces to fill it back up, so I stopped by one of my favorite thrift stores and spied this brown beauty:
Ok so it wasn’t exactly beautiful, but I was in need and this was in great working condition. The insides of the drawers were immaculate and had no musty odor. That’s not easy to find on these older pieces.
I wanted to reshare this dresser makeover because I thought the before and after was pretty dramatic…
with it’s new fabric treatment:
What brown dresser? I was so thrilled with how this turned out! It doesn’t even look like the same dresser. These drawers were perfect for adding fabric.
I’ve included a few affiliate links so you can find the products I love too.
I have used this fabric a lot in the past. I love it for its sophistication, for its stain-hiding power, and because it is still pretty neutral.
I found it Hancock Fabrics. So sad they went out of business, and I have used just about all of this fabric that I had. (I heard Michaels bought them, so I’m anxious to see where that goes.)
I sanded the edges and added a coat of Annie Sloan’s clear wax, with two coats on top.
I reused the original hardware since I really liked them:
They turned out pretty. All the hardware was updated using Rustoleum Spray Paint in Heirloom White.
Lightly sanding them (or a couple of scrapes on the garage floor works too) brought out the pretty details.
Adding the fabric is pretty straight-forward.
I prepped the drawers by painting, sanding, and waxing the areas that would not be covered in fabric first. Then I cut the panels using my rotary cutter and cutting mat. Be careful not to handle the fabric too much to help prevent the edges from fraying. (The rotary cutter helps with that.)
To attach the fabric to the drawer fronts, I used matte Mod Podge…
I just painted it on with a decent brush and then laid the fabric right on top…
(I use a two or three inch chip brush to add my Mod Podge these days. You can find them at Michaels or Home Depot for around a dollar.)
I used to add another coat over the fabric, but not any more. It alters the color a bit and I don’t think it’s necessary. You can add a little to any edges that might be frayed to smooth them down if need-be.
If you mess it up, just pull it off and reposition it.
After I was just about finished painting this dresser, I realized that I had this night stand with very similar lines:
So I redid that to match. You can see it HERE.
I’ll be back with my Furniture Fixer Uppers on Thursday and I’ll have a brand new makeover! I’ll be sharing how I changed up this dresser:
Meanwhile I’ll be here packing, packing, and packing. 🙂
Don’t Miss a Thing!
If you like what you see, there are several ways to follow along!