Happy Tuesday, awesome Friends!!
I spent the better part of this past weekend in my paint pants painting all the trim in my kitchen and this hallway that leads to the back stairs:
That includes NINE doorways, 3 large windows in the kitchen (one is actually a door), and five interior doors (laundry room, garage, storage room, door to FROG, and pantry), plus all the base molding and chair rail that connects them!
This just seemed like such a daunting task, but I am so happy it is getting done! It will be so nice to walk into the house from the garage and not be greeted by this:
Oh wait that’s not so bad…let’s zoom in a little shall we:
Disgusting!! Sadly the wall in our kitchen around our pantry looks just as bad!
So needless to say I don’t have a brand new shiny project to share so instead I am bringing one of my favorite oldies! This is the last project that I shared in my March Madness, 31 Thrifty Makeovers in 31 Days series in 2015, and it is something anyone can do!
I started with these pieces:
You know I can never pass up a good frame. The same goes for mirrors. This was a thrift store picture, complete with broken glass that I got for $3, and a mirror I found for about the same price. They both had pretty, detailed frames.
And here’s what you get when you put them together:
This was another project that included my favorite fabric shop, the drapery aisle at HomeGoods! I had leftover curtain panel fabric from another project that was perfect.
Making this is simple to do.
I started by painting my frames in my DIY chalk paint using Cottage White by Behr:
I sanded a bit and waxed with Annie Sloan’s clear soft wax when the paint was dry. You could also use spray paint if you like.
I cut a piece of hardboard to fit (the same thing I use to make chalk boards), found this left over curtain panel, and plugged up my glue gun…
I cut the fabric an inch or so bigger and wrapped the hardboard in the fabric:
I used hot glue to secure it in place. Then I inserted it into the larger frame, securing with small nails like so:
(That was before I had my point driver.)
It was looking pretty already!
I inserted the mirror back into the frame, securing it in place the same way. Then I hot glued the mirror to the center of the fabric panel…
This was just to hold it in place while I flipped it over.
The last step was to flip it over and secure it in place more permanently with small screws. I put one in each corner:
I kept the original hanging hardware in place.
Pretty simple! I actually kept this one, although I haven’t found a new home for it yet in the new house, but if I were going to sell it, I would have covered the back in brown craft paper to make it pretty on the back as well.
You could make a fabric framed mirror to match any décor!
This isn’t the first one I’ve made, here is another one I made similarly several years ago using burlap:
See more of that makeover HERE!
Here is the other project I used that curtain fabric for:
See how this set turned out HERE. That was also part of March Madness 2015.
I’m hoping March Madness makes a comeback in 2018!
If anyone is looking for me over the next couple of days, I’ll be here…wearing my paint pants.
I’ll be back on Thursday sharing my updated front door! Here is what it looks like now:
UPDATE: See what color I chose for my front door HERE now!
Don’t Miss a Thing!
If you like what you see, there are several ways to follow along!