Hello sweet Friends! Summer is well under way here and I hope you are taking time to enjoy some sunshine where you are. My oldest will be turning 15 in September and I am coming to the realization that sadly, this may be our last Summer with him actually wanting to hang out here with me and my youngest son. Too soon he will be off doing his own thing with his friends…boohoo! SO I really want to make the moments count this Summer, and with that I hope you don’t mind if I sprinkle in a few oldies but goodies here and there on the blog to buy me some of those moments.
It really is a shame that I share so many fun makeovers and many rarely are ever seen again.
Today I am pulling one of my favorite dresser makeovers out of the archives. Many of you may remember this one, but it may be new to many of you too!
I found this dresser at the Salvation Army for $45:
It was a bit dated, but it was in excellent condition.
I decided to give it a more feminine feel:
I used Behr’s Pure White made into DIY chalk paint (recipe including video HERE) for the base, and a 50/50 mix of French Linen (Annie Sloan Chalk Paint) and Pure White for the stripes.
I’ve included affiliate links so you can see some of the products I used.
The first thing I had to do was fill in the original holes in the bottom three drawers using Elmer’s Wood Filler, since I planned on changing out the hardware on those.
To make the stripes, I used 1-1/2″ Frogtape for delicate surfaces.
I started by adding a strip of tape down the center. Then I added a strip to either side, and removed the piece in the center.
I used the piece I removed as a guide for the rest of my stripes…
Then I painted them in with two coats, and removed the tape while it was still wet, as soon as I finished the second coat. After the paint was dry, I lightly sanded the drawers with 220 grit sandpaper. The whole piece was sealed with Annie Sloan’s clear wax.
To save money, I reused the original six pulls for the top…
They add a nice contrast on top.
The other handles were just not working for me, so I replaced them with these much prettier ones from Hobby Lobby (50% off every other week):
The drawers got a pretty fabric liner as well…
I also purchased that at Hobby Lobby.
I prefer fabric to line the drawers in larger pieces if I can find a good deal on it, since it can more easily be removed down the road. I cut it with my rotary cutter and cutting mat, then used matte Mod Podge like a glue to hold it in place. I just brushed it all over the bottom of the drawer with an inexpensive chip brush before applying the fabric.
I hope you enjoyed this makeover, or revisiting it if you’ve seen it before! It is one of my favorites!
I’ll see ya’ll on Thursday with another oldie but goodie:
I didn’t want to let it go!
UPDATE: No need to wait, see how this cabinet turned out HERE.
Don’t Miss a Thing!
If you like what you see, there are several ways to follow along!