Hello beautiful friends! Today I’m here with my Furniture Fixer Upper crew sharing a redo of a redo.
Last week when I stopped by my booth, I decided to bring home a dresser that’s been sitting in there a while to give it a new look.
It originally started out like this:
I paid $99 for it at the thrift store, and that was on sale. I am rarely willing to spend that much on a dresser, but someone had restored it beautifully, so I figured it was worth it. That and the fact that my booth needed furniture at the time.
Except when I got it home, I had a hard time taking a brush to it because I kept thinking of the work that someone did to restore it (It’s so much easier to paint crappy pieces!), so it sat in my garage for almost a year!
I finally compromised and decided to leave the bottom four drawers as is:
You can revisit this makeover HERE. I really liked how it turned out however, that might have been the lowest commented-on makeover I had last year, so I’m pretty sure it wasn’t a reader-favorite!
I recently bought a transfer that I knew would look perfect on this piece, so I just had to bring it home and give it a go.
And I think I was right:
Better, no? This look is so much softer and feminine! I’ve included a few affiliate links so you can find the products I love too.
Right? This is the Dans La Vie transfer from Re-Design with Prima.
I’ll tell ya, I am in love with these transfers, y’all.
They go on so easily!
First I painted the drawers and the top with three coats of Bit of Sugar by Behr, made into DIY chalk paint (Recipe HERE.) Only because that is what I had used on the rest.
The foam applicator makes it SO easy on these flat areas. Apply it in a side to side motion from one edge to the other. Try not to go back over the same area too much. I have a favorite brush that I usually use to apply sealers, but for nice flat surfaces, these sponges are a game changer!
The transfer instructions suggest waiting 48 hours to one week after painting before applying the transfer. I decided to seal the paint instead of waiting for the paint to cure. That worked out well on the last transfer I did, so I stuck with the same plan.
UPDATE: I have applied many transfers since this dresser and I do not wait more than a day and I no longer seal first and I have had no issues! 🙂
This transfer came in four pieces. I laid the dresser flat to get a layout for the transfer first. Then I stood the dresser back up to apply it. I wanted to be sure the drawers were aligned properly for applying for the transfer and some of them shifted slightly when I laid the dresser on its back.
Here is how easy it is to apply:
1. Line your first piece up where you want it. You only get one shot as it is tacky and some of it is likely to come off onto the surface if you try to reposition it. (Maybe had I waited the recommended time after painting, that wouldn’t be an issue.)
2. Use the included burnishing tool to burnish the entire section. You can peel it away from time to time to see if you’ve done it enough as you go.
3. Pull the top layer off, leaving the transfer behind. If any comes off with the top sheet, simply lay it back down and burnish a bit more in that area.
4. Voila! That’s it! I used a razor blade to cut the transfer at the tops and bottoms of the drawers.
They can be rinsed with warm water and used again and again! I poured a little sealer in this bowl I picked up a while back at Target to make it easy to apply:
I used the same hardware, but I gave the brassy looking ones a coat of dark brown spray paint:
Then I followed up with a couple of coats of Bit of Sugar DIY chalk paint, applying it with a brush. It would have been easier to spray paint them white, but the chalk paint adds texture that you just can’t get with spray paint. When they were barely dry, I used my fingernail to scratch the paint off here and there:
I kept the glass knobs on the top…
I found those at Hobby Lobby.
These are my faux hydrangeas that I am loving at the moment since I don’t have real ones to cut and bring inside at our new house:
They look so real! I did plant two hydrangea bushes out back though so hopefully next year I will!
The drawers were lined with navy blue fabric previously, so I swapped it out for this more Frenchy fabric:
I used Dixie Belle’s Gator Hide to seal the top of the dresser. It is waterproof and super durable! I used their foam applicator to apply that as well. (Both sealers and the applicator are available in my online shop woohoo!)
I hope y’all enjoyed this redo of a redo!
We are sorry to say that our dear friend, Larissa from Prodigal Pieces, is no longer part of our Furniture Fixer Upper crew. She has some new projects in the works and has decided to slow down on the furniture for a while. She will be missed, but we wish her luck with her new endeavors!
To fill her big shoes, I am thrilled to announce that Denise from Salvaged Inspirations will be joining us! I have linked to her amazing work before and let me tell you, you are in for a real treat when you see what she can do with paint!
Her project is in the number one spot today. Enjoy!
I’ll be back on Tuesday sharing what I did with these frames that used to hang in our master bath at the old house:
UPDATE: No need to wait! See how I reused these frames HERE now! 🙂
Have a wonderful weekend!
Don’t Miss a Thing!
If you like what you see, there are several ways to follow along!