Hello lovely Friends! If you read about my big purge not too long ago, you may remember this photo:
This was a pile of things I decided to keep, figuring I could still do something with them. Three of those items are flatware boxes, you know the kind that fancy silverware comes in?
I decided to start at the top of the pile with this $3 thrift store flatware box:
I rarely pass up one of these boxes if they’re in good shape.
They make perfect jewelry boxes!
This one was especially boring before.
I have made over several of these boxes, and I love how they each take on their own personality. I’ve included a few affiliate links so you can find the products I use.
The inside of this one started like this:
Removing that fancy velvet lining isn’t always easy, but this one wasn’t too bad. I used fat quarters I found at Walmart for the new lining:
I started this makeover by painting the box in Behr’s Bit of Sugar made into DIY chalk paint. (Recipe HERE.)
Then I decided I would stencil the top with this quatrefoil stencil I picked up at Michaels:
But…I didn’t love it. At all. I decided to sand it down and give it a do-over.
I went with a different plan for the top this time:.
I first added a damask flourish in Sparrow grey mixed 50/50 with the bit of sugar, using a design I had saved to my silhouette library. (This stencil would work great too.)
Then I found this French graphic that was part of a larger perfumery graphic I found on Pinterest. It took me to a Spanish site that did not include this graphic. Weird? I decided to screen shot the pin and used part of that image for this box. (If you recognize this and know the source, let me know!)
I used this graphite paper to transfer the graphic.
I happened to already have this on hand, but my friend Nancy from Artsy Chicks Rule likes this transfer paper and it is much cheaper. I usually use this method, but I was afraid the words would be too difficult to see over the gray flourish.
After it was completely dry, I sanded across the entire surface lightly with 220 grit sandpaper to smooth everything out.
Then I waxed with Annie Sloan’s clear soft wax to seal.
To line the inside, I gathered my supplies: Fabric, foam core, hot glue gun/hot glue.
I started with the drawer. Using my rotary cutter and cutting mat, I cut the fabric into strips (for the sides of the inside) that were 1/4″ deeper than the sides. I also cut my foam core to fit the inside of the drawer, and a piece of fabric about an inch bigger than the piece of foam core:
I folded the top edge of the fabric strips over 1/4″ and ironed them flat.
Then I added the strips the sides, folded edge up, adhering it with hot glue:
I tried to start and stop in the corners.
Then I wrapped the fabric around the foam core and secured it in place with hot glue.
TIP: Be sure to check the pattern in your fabric to be sure it is straight before adhering.
Finally, I added the wrapped foam core to the bottom of the drawer:
If your velvet lining comes off nicely enough, you may be able to get away with just painting the sides. Mine left burgundy fuzz behind.
I did the inside top and the inside of the lid the same way.
I added handles from Hobby Lobby to the sides to add a bit of character…
And these sweet glass knobs, also from Hobby Lobby, to the drawer:
These never last long in my shop. I think this is the sixth one I’ve redone.
If you enjoyed this one, you’ll like this one too:
Click HERE to see what I did with it!
We have our annual yard sale this weekend so I will be working hard getting ready for it. More purging yay!!
I’ll be back on Thursday rounding up 15+ of my own repurposed projects:
UPDATE: Check out how I repurposed 15+ ordinary items HERE now!
See ya then! 🙂
Don’t Miss a Thing!
If you like what you see, there are several ways to follow along!