Welcome back, amazing friends and happy February! Can you believe it’s February already?? Today I’m back with another item that cost me nothing, and it is the perfect piece to share how to turn a mirror harp into a shelf!
Here’s what it looked like before:
Cool piece, right??
The harp is the piece that supports the mirror. I always thought the harp on this this mirror might make a good mantel for a faux fireplace on one of the walls in our dining room, but my staging dresser lives on that wall now, so it has just sat in our garage.
I knew I wanted to add a shelf to it, so the first thing I did was remove the mirror and the two support pieces:
That was easy to do just by removing a few screws.
I’ve included a few affiliate links so you can find the products I love.
I used to use Lysol type wipes to clean my pieces before the pandemic made them like gold, but I would have easily gone through about ten wipes to get all that dirt and build up off. Since switching to White Lightning, I know my pieces are clean!
I swapped out my water for clean water and gave it another wipe down to rinse any residue.
Let’s turn that mirror harp into a shelf!
To turn the mirror harp into a shelf, I used my Kreg Jig Jr to create pocket holes along the top, on the back side of the harp. This is ideal for connecting two pieces.
The Kreg Jig kit includes a special drill bit that you use with your own drill:
Once you’ve created your pocket holes, you just drill your screws through the pocket holes into the piece of wood you’re attaching, and that’s it! (I did add bead of wood glue between the pieces first.)
I shared another way to add a shelf to a harp in a similar makeover HERE.
Next, I had a gap that I needed to fill below the new shelf (see the first photo below), so I cut a piece of scrap wood to fill it in and secured it with wood glue.
Then, I cut a piece of trim that I had in my stash (originally from the Home Depot) using my miter saw.
I attached that with wood glue also:
What’s that about Measure twice, cut once?
How about measure once, cut six times ha ha:
Oh well, I did finally get it right!
The white shelf I added was a piece of already primed lumber I already had in my stash also.
Onto the good part, paint! Well…not quite yet.
I was so excited to have my new shelf built that I went right to painting on the left side. I immediately got a yellowed hue coming through my paint.
I switched to BOSS in white to seal in those pesky tannins that like to come through these older pieces…
I should have know this would happen here. I let the BOSS dry overnight (Proper dry time is key!), and then painted the next day with two coats of Cotton:
Once the paint was dry, I sanded all over using 220 grit sandpaper wrapped around an old sanding sponge to smooth everything out.
Adding a Transfer
Then I decided to pull out one of my surprise transfers for this project!
One of my super sweet readers reached out to me a few weeks ago asking if I would be interested in some transfers. She is pursuing a new hobby and was going to donate them if I couldn’t use them. Of course I said yes!!
When the box arrived, it had a bunch of transfers in it! Surprise! So I’m calling them my surprise transfers! If you’re reading this, Ashley, thank you SO much again!! I will definitely put them to good use! ❤️
This one is reminiscent of toile:
It doesn’t have a name on it, so I don’t know if it is still available to purchase, but it’s by Redesign with Prima. UPDATE!! It is called Simplicity! 🙂
I thought it would be lovely in the center panel of this piece!
I cut it to fit before removing the backing this time.
Once it was applied, I ran a finishing pad across it to make sure it was adhered well all over.
I removed the excess wax by buffing with a soft cloth.
All that was left to do was add hooks I found at the Home Depot to the center panel.
They started out black, but I painted them Cotton:
Screwing them into a piece of scrap wood made them easier to paint. I used a little sandpaper to shabby them up a bit once they were dry. Then I gave them a quick spray of Rustoleum’s Matte clear sealer to seal them.
After attaching those, I added hanging hardware to the back of this piece, and this transformation was complete!
I love a classic toile pattern!
And here’s my take six on that corner trim cut lol…
This could have been used as an actual mantel on a smaller fireplace or for a faux fireplace, but the hooks add more function:
Of course, the hooks could hold stockings if it were used for a mantel!
Remember this little guy?
He was a 99¢ thrift store find, and he was missing his tail. I just painted him and then gathered some jute twine with a rubber band and stuck it in the hole.
I hope y’all enjoyed this one today!
I’ve still got the mirror frame I can do something with eventually!
And that puts me down to ONE piece left from my FREE haul!!
You can find all of these completed projects at the links below:
I’m not quite ready for the final piece. I need some warmer temps so I can get it outside, so instead, I’ll be back with this oldie but goodie on Thursday:
UPDATE: See the brand new look I gave this box HERE now!
See ya then!!
Don’t Miss a Thing!
If you like what you see, there are several ways to follow along!